Anything can do post-interview?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Anything can do post-interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:32 am

Been about a month since my interview. Have spoken to another interviewee (friend from school) and we both have gotten nothing but "still evaluating interciew candidates". Knowing nothing about how these typically work, I tend to think they've offered it to someone and are waiting, or something, since the emails we received confirmed we were still being considered but did not seem to do so strongly. If I am wrong though, is there anything I can do to at this point other than wallow?

Anonymous User

Re: Anything can do post-interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:49 am

In my opinion it's unlikely that the judge has offered it to someone else and is waiting for a response - typically judges do not give much time to consider a clerkship and expect a quick response, and the custom is for candidates to accept right away.

More likely, the judge either:
(1) likes you but wants to keep his/her options open (the judge has promised other candidates they'll be considered, but the judge might not like them as well as you),
(2) doesn't like you but wants to wait until the final hiring decisions are made before rejecting people so that candidates are not offended when they get a rejection before other candidates do, or
(3) wants a specific mix of people in chambers (say, one experienced clerk and one novice clerk, one male/one female, clerks from two particular schools, clerks with two specific interests) and thus wants to pick two people at once who will complement each other rather than accepting one and then having to meet very specific criteria for the second one.

Each judge does things in a unique way. A polite expression of continued interest (e.g. an email to the judicial assistant who arranged the interview) probably wouldn't hurt you. I have known judges to give offers months after an interview, so I would not necessarily write off your chances. And if you are rejected, it can be for all sorts of odd, idiosyncratic reasons that you should not take personally (i.e. don't wallow).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In my opinion it's unlikely that the judge has offered it to someone else and is waiting for a response - typically judges do not give much time to consider a clerkship and expect a quick response, and the custom is for candidates to accept right away.

More likely, the judge either:
(1) likes you but wants to keep his/her options open (the judge has promised other candidates they'll be considered, but the judge might not like them as well as you),
(2) doesn't like you but wants to wait until the final hiring decisions are made before rejecting people so that candidates are not offended when they get a rejection before other candidates do, or
(3) wants a specific mix of people in chambers (say, one experienced clerk and one novice clerk, one male/one female, clerks from two particular schools, clerks with two specific interests) and thus wants to pick two people at once who will complement each other rather than accepting one and then having to meet very specific criteria for the second one.

Each judge does things in a unique way. A polite expression of continued interest (e.g. an email to the judicial assistant who arranged the interview) probably wouldn't hurt you. I have known judges to give offers months after an interview, so I would not necessarily write off your chances. And if you are rejected, it can be for all sorts of odd, idiosyncratic reasons that you should not take personally (i.e. don't wallow).

Thanks. Hoping it is 1 or 3. Would it be of any use to have or offer additional references or recommenders call in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:52 pm

Reviving this thread for a different purpose. Interviewed for a 2017 D.Ct. clerkship in April. Judge was completing his 2016 hiring but called me in for an interview nonetheless. He said he would let me know "in the not too distant future" once he was done with 2016. Now, almost two months later, I have yet to hear anything. JA said that 2017 hiring would hopefully commence shortly in early June but have still yet to hear a peep. I know this is not a good sign but is there anything I should do/try to do in the meantime? It seems odd that I would be left to toil since he has clearly already seen my grades, materials, and interviewed me in person--he clearly knows if he wants to hire me or not, no?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:54 pm

I'd give it another week or so and then maybe shoot an email to chambers letting them know you're still interested.

If there is one thing I learned from my clerkship application experience, it's that you never know what's really going on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:00 pm

In doing so, should I offer any additional materials or references or i don't f'in know

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In doing so, should I offer any additional materials or references or i don't f'in know

No - unless you've got something substantial. Like your class rank jumped 10% or something.

There's really no telling what's going on, but chances are the judge either has more interviews scheduled (they're not going to cancel outstanding interviews pretty much ever) or the judge just hasn't had the time to figure it out yet.

I interviewed with one judge who got back to me and said she had one other candidate she was considering - but couldn't actually interview that person for another couple of months because of some kind of emergency. The judge instructed me to just wait and let her know if/when I was no longer interested.

Judges can and do whatever they want. Just ride it out! And keep hustling!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks for the advice. Certainly going to keep hustling. Once I heard from former clerks that he "interviews with intent to hire" I sort of tied myself to the thought of taking it. Want to make sure I don't sound desperate but accurately impute my desire to have the position

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the advice. Certainly going to keep hustling. Once I heard from former clerks that he "interviews with intent to hire" I sort of tied myself to the thought of taking it. Want to make sure I don't sound desperate but accurately impute my desire to have the position

They know you want the job but if you want, you could say something like "I would also like you to know, if you offer the position I will accept" or "my interview with you confirmed for me you are the Judge I most want to clerk for, and if you offer me the position, I will accept immediately" or something to that effect. (In cleaner language but you get the idea)

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:14 pm

minnbills wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the advice. Certainly going to keep hustling. Once I heard from former clerks that he "interviews with intent to hire" I sort of tied myself to the thought of taking it. Want to make sure I don't sound desperate but accurately impute my desire to have the position

They know you want the job but if you want, you could say something like "I would also like you to know, if you offer the position I will accept" or "my interview with you confirmed for me you are the Judge I most want to clerk for, and if you offer me the position, I will accept immediately" or something to that effect. (In cleaner language but you get the idea)

This may be appropriate for BigLaw, but I wouldn't recommend it for clerkships, at least as a post-interview strategy. Judges presume that their candidates will gladly accept an offer if they receive one.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:58 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
minnbills wrote:

This may be appropriate for BigLaw, but I wouldn't recommend it for clerkships, at least as a post-interview strategy. Judges presume that their candidates will gladly accept an offer if they receive one.

Eh, I think the whole "you have to accept an offer if it's made" thing is overblown. I have heard of quite a few people turning down clerkship offers, actually.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Interviewed with 2d Cir. judge (for 2017-18) ages ago (4+ months). Sent a few "continued interest" e-mails, to JA responses thanking me. No ding. No offer. Luckily, I have another interview next month but in a far less desirable location/circuit. Is all lost for this one? Not sure why they wouldn't just give me the ding?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:13 pm

minnbills wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Eh, I think the whole "you have to accept an offer if it's made" thing is overblown. I have heard of quite a few people turning down clerkship offers, actually.

I don't think that means you should say "I will accept immediately," though. I still think that would be a little odd in context.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”