2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:30 pm

OSCAR suggests that 9th Cir. and D.C. Cir. are all about 2017 right now, but most other circuits seem focused on 2016, if they're even there at all. And then the paper app game is, of course, a mystery.

Any general thoughts? Just send paper apps to everyone, regardless of their timeline?

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby hoos89 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:34 pm

You could try calling chambers and asking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:19 pm

hoos89 wrote:You could try calling chambers and asking.


This. I would have been hesitant to do this when I was a student. But now that I'm a clerk, I think it's definitely the best way to go. Someone called chambers last week and asked if we were still hiring for 2016. I gave her the precise information she wanted, didn't think she was weird, didn't ask who she was or where she went to school, and happily went about my day. Maybe it would be irritating if I were getting tons of calls like that every day, but it's the only one I've gotten in five months with a pretty desirable judge. So, in my opinion, go for it.

newlawgrad
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby newlawgrad » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:53 pm

Find anything out here? Am considering sending out apps as well for CoA 2017 but thought the general consensus might have been found.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:39 pm

newlawgrad wrote:Find anything out here? Am considering sending out apps as well for CoA 2017 but thought the general consensus might have been found.


If you are a 2L, I don't think you have much shot of securing anything for 2017 right now. I can't imagine there are many judges who are looking to hire that far out based on only 1L grades. If you are a 3L or grad though, I don't think it is crazy to send out 2017 apps. There will be many chambers where you're app just sits (or maybe even gets discarded) because the judge thinks it is way too early to start thinking about 2017, but there may just be chambers out there where you get something of a first-mover advantage.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are a 2L, I don't think you have much shot of securing anything for 2017 right now. I can't imagine there are many judges who are looking to hire that far out based on only 1L grades. If you are a 3L or grad though, I don't think it is crazy to send out 2017 apps. There will be many chambers where you're app just sits (or maybe even gets discarded) because the judge thinks it is way too early to start thinking about 2017, but there may just be chambers out there where you get something of a first-mover advantage.


This is simply not true. I am a 2L and I secured a 2017 CoA clerkship 4 weeks ago. It is highly dependent on each judge. I think 2017 is open now, but probably only through unofficial channels. You probably won't get looked at if you send a 2017 app cold but might get a 2017 spot if you have a connection + the judge is either full for 2016 or wants someone that already has 1 year legal exp.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are a 2L, I don't think you have much shot of securing anything for 2017 right now. I can't imagine there are many judges who are looking to hire that far out based on only 1L grades. If you are a 3L or grad though, I don't think it is crazy to send out 2017 apps. There will be many chambers where you're app just sits (or maybe even gets discarded) because the judge thinks it is way too early to start thinking about 2017, but there may just be chambers out there where you get something of a first-mover advantage.


This is simply not true. I am a 2L and I secured a 2017 CoA clerkship 4 weeks ago. It is highly dependent on each judge. I think 2017 is open now, but probably only through unofficial channels. You probably won't get looked at if you send a 2017 app cold but might get a 2017 spot if you have a connection + the judge is either full for 2016 or wants someone that already has 1 year legal exp.


:roll:

Your story is not inconsistent with my advice. Yeah sure, if you are a 2L and have a connection with a judge that can get your app to the judge via "unofficial channels," you have a shot at 2017, and potentially beyond. But for a 2L who doesn't have those connections it is going to be tough to land anything at this point. Most judges would prefer to wait until they have more data points as far as grades, and at this point even the super competitive feeders aren't in a hurry to hire for 2017.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:01 am

Fair enough! Didn't mean to be a jerk ;)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are a 2L, I don't think you have much shot of securing anything for 2017 right now. I can't imagine there are many judges who are looking to hire that far out based on only 1L grades. If you are a 3L or grad though, I don't think it is crazy to send out 2017 apps. There will be many chambers where you're app just sits (or maybe even gets discarded) because the judge thinks it is way too early to start thinking about 2017, but there may just be chambers out there where you get something of a first-mover advantage.


This is simply not true. I am a 2L and I secured a 2017 CoA clerkship 4 weeks ago. It is highly dependent on each judge. I think 2017 is open now, but probably only through unofficial channels. You probably won't get looked at if you send a 2017 app cold but might get a 2017 spot if you have a connection + the judge is either full for 2016 or wants someone that already has 1 year legal exp.


:roll:

Your story is not inconsistent with my advice. Yeah sure, if you are a 2L and have a connection with a judge that can get your app to the judge via "unofficial channels," you have a shot at 2017, and potentially beyond. But for a 2L who doesn't have those connections it is going to be tough to land anything at this point. Most judges would prefer to wait until they have more data points as far as grades, and at this point even the super competitive feeders aren't in a hurry to hire for 2017.

Ugh. You don't need connections. My judge has hired all four for 2017. As has the judge I'm clerking for next year, but that's in N.D. Cal, which like D.C. Cir. consistently hires far in advance. So drop the condescending tone and remember that calling chambers to ask when a judge is hiring is often a great idea (during my two cycles I used a google voice number just in case one of the chambers I called got mad. none did).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are a 2L, I don't think you have much shot of securing anything for 2017 right now. I can't imagine there are many judges who are looking to hire that far out based on only 1L grades. If you are a 3L or grad though, I don't think it is crazy to send out 2017 apps. There will be many chambers where you're app just sits (or maybe even gets discarded) because the judge thinks it is way too early to start thinking about 2017, but there may just be chambers out there where you get something of a first-mover advantage.


This is simply not true. I am a 2L and I secured a 2017 CoA clerkship 4 weeks ago. It is highly dependent on each judge. I think 2017 is open now, but probably only through unofficial channels. You probably won't get looked at if you send a 2017 app cold but might get a 2017 spot if you have a connection + the judge is either full for 2016 or wants someone that already has 1 year legal exp.


:roll:

Your story is not inconsistent with my advice. Yeah sure, if you are a 2L and have a connection with a judge that can get your app to the judge via "unofficial channels," you have a shot at 2017, and potentially beyond. But for a 2L who doesn't have those connections it is going to be tough to land anything at this point. Most judges would prefer to wait until they have more data points as far as grades, and at this point even the super competitive feeders aren't in a hurry to hire for 2017.

Ugh. You don't need connections. My judge has hired all four for 2017. As has the judge I'm clerking for next year, but that's in N.D. Cal, which like D.C. Cir. consistently hires far in advance. So drop the condescending tone and remember that calling chambers to ask when a judge is hiring is often a great idea (during my two cycles I used a google voice number just in case one of the chambers I called got mad. none did).


Your judge has hired four current 2Ls for 2017? I'm not suggesting that some judges aren't hiring out that far (though even on NDCal it certainly is not typical that a judge would have finished for 2017 - many have not yet started), what I was saying is that most judges looking to hire for 2017 will want to wait until they have at least one set of 2L grades before moving on a 2L applicant.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Your judge has hired four current 2Ls for 2017? I'm not suggesting that some judges aren't hiring out that far (though even on NDCal it certainly is not typical that a judge would have finished for 2017 - many have not yet started), what I was saying is that most judges looking to hire for 2017 will want to wait until they have at least one set of 2L grades before moving on a 2L applicant.

Three current 2Ls and one current 3L. One of the Ninth Circuit feeders just hired a friend of mine who's a current 2L. There are a substantial number of judges who hire super early (although flyover d.cts are less likely to do so), so like I said before, it's not crazy to put out some feelers, particularly if you're applying higher up the food chain.

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Yeah, it's certainly reasonable to put out feelers. And there are lots of judges who are happy for you to send your materials now and then update after fall grades are in.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:05 am

Does anyone know if Lohier has interviewed yet for 2017? I know Carney is also taking apps and has sent out generic thanks for applying letters.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273537
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2017 COA: apply now, or hold tight for a while?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Lohier has interviewed yet for 2017? I know Carney is also taking apps and has sent out generic thanks for applying letters.


Carney has hired at least one for 2017.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.