Prestige of Clerking for a Magistrate? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Prestige of Clerking for a Magistrate?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:56 pm

How is clerking for a magistrate judge in one of the larger east coast districts (D.Mass/DNJ/etc.) viewed by firms? Do magistrate clerks get any resume bump and are they eligible for bonuses?

Anonymous User

Re: Prestige of Clerking for a Magistrate?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:23 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:51 pm

IMO it depends on the firm. Some give bonus to all fed clerks while some give bonus only to article III fed clerks so you have to research the firm (from what I hear, many do not give you bonus for maj clerkship, and if they do it is not the same rate as a district clerkship). Also, as far as resume bump, it depends on the type cases the mag judge takes on in that district. Maj judges in some districts handle stuff like SS, prisoner habeas corpus, pro se matters, and other routine pre-trial stuff -- generally speaking, these type of clerkships provide a bump if you plan on practicing in those specific areas of law. On the other hand, some districts assign their magistrates a wide variety of issues that most district judges handle throughout the country, including allowing trials by maj judge where the parties consent. In addition, most people who do a magistrate judge clerkship go on to clerk for a district judge as well. So you really have to research the maj judge you are considering, what area of law you are looking to practice, and the type of firm you are applying for. If we are talking big law prospects, it is not going to give you any considerable bump unless you are clerking for an exceptional judge or you use the maj clerkship as a stepping stone for a district clerkship.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:In addition, most people who do a magistrate judge clerkship go on to clerk for a district judge as well.
I think this is overstating it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In addition, most people who do a magistrate judge clerkship go on to clerk for a district judge as well.
I think this is overstating it.
I am the anon who posted above. And I agree. Poor phrasing on my part. What I meant to say was that many maj clerks take up these positions with the intention of trying to get a district judge clerkship -- which is a boost in my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:32 am

DJ clerk here.

It really depends on the district. There are some districts/MJs who handle mostly things like SSDI appeals, habeas cases, prisoner cases, pro se cases, etc. Almost all MJs handle pre-trial/discovery motions. In some districts, the MJs handle a lot of cases on Findings and Recommendations for the DJs (which is basically doing all the work, and DJs almost always adopt) or through the parties' consent. In these districts, I think MJ clerks actually get exposed to a lot more of the litigation spectrum and probably take away more than the DJ clerks. (I can tell you a lot about 12b6s and MSJs, but I am otherwise worthless.)

But, ultimately, for better or worse, it seems to be the consensus that clerking for a DJ is considered far better than clerking for a MJ. There are exceptions (e.g., MJ Grewal in the N.D. Cal.). I think this is total BS, especially in my district, but it is what it is. You should really do your research to find out what the MJs do. If possible, talk to someone who has clerked/is clerking there. If you can't, poke around on WL to get a feel for it.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:35 pm

OP: at least as far as biglaw is concerned, MJ clerkships don't mean much. Generally they are not eligible for bonuses, and don't appreciably boost your resume (if at all). It's all about prestige at biglaw firms, and MJ clerkships just aren't seen as prestigious (which I agree with the above posters is BS). As far as midlaw firms, they generally don't see clerkships in general as particularly valuable experience, whether it is MJ or COA (although, again, only as a very general statement). They usually won't give you either a bonus or seniority for any clerkship experience.

Bottom line, do an MJ clerkship if you really like clerking or have no other options, but don't expect it to springboard you into a "prestigious" firm job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:59 pm

zomginternets wrote:
Bottom line, do an MJ clerkship if you really like clerking or have no other options, but don't expect it to springboard you into a "prestigious" firm job.
Anon DJ clerk from above.

I should have added: by all means, do the MJ clerkship if you don't have a DJ clerkship. I think clerking in any capacity, regardless of the court/judge, is incredibly valuable experience. (I think firms overstate it, but that's for another thread.) More importantly, clerking is just plain fun...unless your judge is a jerk, which happens rarely. I've been clerking for 2 years and I have 0 desire to move on to private practice. I really can't imagine a better job as a lawyer, and I know a lot of current/former clerks agree.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”