Question for Clerks--What kind of questions do I ask? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Question for Clerks--What kind of questions do I ask?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:44 am

I have a couple of upcoming interview with bankruptcy judges(answers don't need to be bankruptcy specific)...I was just curious when you are interviewing an applicant what kind of questions do you like to receive from the applicant? Is it questions about how chambers works? Or more substantive questions or both?

What about your judges? Do you have any idea what types of questions they want to hear?

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous User

Re: Question for Clerks--What kind of questions do I ask?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a couple of upcoming interview with bankruptcy judges(answers don't need to be bankruptcy specific)...I was just curious when you are interviewing an applicant what kind of questions do you like to receive from the applicant? Is it questions about how chambers works? Or more substantive questions or both?

What about your judges? Do you have any idea what types of questions they want to hear?

Thanks for your help!
Show that you are interested in bankruptcy. Know a case or two that is before them or a recent opinion they issued. The "how chambers works" question is a solid question, although the Judge may cover that himself. Can ask if the Judge has his clerks prepare bench memos before hearings or mostly has his clerks focus on drafting opinions after the hearing. Also ask about what the process is like for drafting opinions.

tonidee

New

Post by tonidee » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:05 pm

I interviewed with state supreme court and federal judges. Recent cases were not discussed during any of my interviews. For the most part, the clerks are gauging your personality and whether you are a good fit for chambers. I chatted about scuba diving and my experience working at a firm during one of my interviews.

I think inquiring about the workflow is a good questions, things that assisted them with being an effective clerk, or how the clerks work as a team.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:33 am

I clerked at a "specialty court." I was involved with hiring a co-clerk and my replacement, so I did about 20-30 interviews with the judge. Asking them how chambers operates--and figuring out how to respond and show that you'd fit in--is very important. Also, ask what makes a clerk successful/good at the job in chambers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”