2016-2017 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-2017 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote: Eh, with my mediocre grades that was my first and probably my last opportunity. It's hardly the end of the world but it still stings.
I feel the first and last opportunity thing. Going to a lesser school hasn't been as much of a problem for BigLaw as it has been for clerkships. Seems so difficult to get a clerkship from a low T1 school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Four COA interviews, four rejections. It's hard not to take it personally.
Finally made it happen on the fifth try!

When I interviewed with this judge and we really hit it off, it made me realize what had been missing in my other interviews. Crazy how much personality/fit matter. This will be a perfect situation for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Four COA interviews, four rejections. It's hard not to take it personally.

When I interviewed with this judge and we really hit it off, it made me realize what had been missing in my other interviews. Crazy how much personality/fit matter. This will be a perfect situation for me.
Congrats! After number three on the rejects for me, it is hard to keep trying (granted, I am also at a lower-ranked school where COA is basically a unicorn job) but glad to know that diligence pays off!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just recently got a clerkship after striking out on my first three interviews. Very excited as this judge was clearly a much better fit than any of my first three interviews. Exactly what I was looking for in terms of the judge's work style, writing style, and general atmosphere in chambers.
Congrats!

Sorry about the ding, man. Not sure how the availability of the position in OSCAR adds insult to injury, though. The judge may have decided that none of the candidates fit his hiring goals, or he simply may not have had the chance to update OSCAR. In any case, keep your head up - something will come along.
Eh, with my mediocre grades that was my first and probably my last opportunity. It's hardly the end of the world but it still stings.
You do know that a little more than half of federal clerkships are now being filled by people coming out of practice, not straight from law school, right? I imagine the post-grad hires probably skew to higher schools and grades, but the point is that all hope is not necessarily lost.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:08 pm

I am below median at a T20 and got a fed clerkship. Someone else in my section did the same thing.

Don't give up!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:17 pm

Top 5% at a T30. I've sent approximately 90 applications this cycle, targeting mostly D.Ct., and not a single interview yet. Idk how many more times I can check my materials for typos before I go nuts. Is it my "harvard style" bare-bones cover letter that's putting me in the auto-reject pile? At this point I just don't know what to do.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 5% at a T30. I've sent approximately 90 applications this cycle, targeting mostly D.Ct., and not a single interview yet. Idk how many more times I can check my materials for typos before I go nuts. Is it my "harvard style" bare-bones cover letter that's putting me in the auto-reject pile? At this point I just don't know what to do.
Are you sending paper apps or via OSCAR?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 5% at a T30. I've sent approximately 90 applications this cycle, targeting mostly D.Ct., and not a single interview yet. Idk how many more times I can check my materials for typos before I go nuts. Is it my "harvard style" bare-bones cover letter that's putting me in the auto-reject pile? At this point I just don't know what to do.
How "bare bones" is your cover letter?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:13 pm

I'd be very surprised if a basic Harvard-style cover letter is hurting your applications. The process is just super competitive and there is a pretty large amount of luck involved. But I'd triple-check your materials for typos. Stuff like that certainly can hurt you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:43 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Mostly OSCAR, with a few paper apps scattered in. I was hoping that OSCAR would be beneficial since my class rank is right on the front page, but maybe not.
Anonymous User wrote: How "bare bones" is your cover letter?
It's nothing too substantial, it's just a brief intro stating that I'm interested in a clerkship in their chambers, w/ class rank and journal e-board position right up front. Second paragraph is just a quick blurb about my recommenders and my writing sample. There's not a ton to it, but it's more than "Please hire me. See materials attached."
Emma. wrote: I'd be very surprised if a basic Harvard-style cover letter is hurting your applications. The process is just super competitive and there is a pretty large amount of luck involved. But I'd triple-check your materials for typos. Stuff like that certainly can hurt you.
Thanks. The bold is what I figured, but after checking, rechecking, and triple checking my materials for mistakes I've gotten to the point of overanalyzing why no one is biting.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Mostly OSCAR, with a few paper apps scattered in. I was hoping that OSCAR would be beneficial since my class rank is right on the front page, but maybe not.
It's nothing too substantial, it's just a brief intro stating that I'm interested in a clerkship in their chambers, w/ class rank and journal e-board position right up front. Second paragraph is just a quick blurb about my recommenders and my writing sample. There's not a ton to it, but it's more than "Please hire me. See materials attached."
I was in a somewhat similar position as to class rank and school. My experience has been that I've gotten much higher response rates from paper applications than from Oscar, and that seems to be the common wisdom on TLS.

The only thing I added to my cover letters beyond what you described was if I had some tie to the geographic area or to the judge (e.g. a professor who knew the judge and specifically suggested I apply).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:20 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote: I was in a somewhat similar position as to class rank and school. My experience has been that I've gotten much higher response rates from paper applications than from Oscar, and that seems to be the common wisdom on TLS.

The only thing I added to my cover letters beyond what you described was if I had some tie to the geographic area or to the judge (e.g. a professor who knew the judge and specifically suggested I apply).
OP here. Thanks for the advice. I will start sending them via paper from now on I think. I mean, gotta try something new.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:50 pm

So I sent a paper app two weeks ago to a judge in a flyover district that I have ties to but that is not clear from my work experience/resume. Can I send a supplemental note mentioning my ties? I forgot to do so first time around in my cover letter. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I sent a paper app two weeks ago to a judge in a flyover district that I have ties to but that is not clear from my work experience/resume. Can I send a supplemental note mentioning my ties? I forgot to do so first time around in my cover letter. :(
I wouldn't. In my chambers, that would result in the secretary putting you in the weirdo pile before your application ever got to the clerks or judge.

The only exception is if you've got a good, non-awkward way to mention it in a note that says more than just, "P.S. I've got ties to this area." For instance, if your tie is that your aunt lives there, you could possibly send a note telling the judge that you're planning a visit to your favorite aunt's house in his city at Y time, if he'd like to consider interviewing you while you're in town.

A lot of judges don't care about geographic ties anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! After number three on the rejects for me, it is hard to keep trying (granted, I am also at a lower-ranked school where COA is basically a unicorn job) but glad to know that diligence pays off!
Thanks. People told me to keep my head up and keep trucking, which is hard advice to take but it's all you can do.

Re: the bolded, my school is my no means a COA powerhouse. We get maybe 2-3 a year. That's why every rejection hurt, because each one felt like my last chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. People told me to keep my head up and keep trucking, which is hard advice to take but it's all you can do.

Re: the bolded, my school is my no means a COA powerhouse. We get maybe 2-3 a year. That's why every rejection hurt, because each one felt like my last chance.
I am the anonymous who referred to COA being unicorn: Just as I said that, got it on interview #4! Great way to lead into finals

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I am the anonymous who referred to COA being unicorn: Just as I said that, got it on interview #4! Great way to lead into finals
Congrats! Nicely done - go celebrate!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Emma. wrote: I'd be very surprised if a basic Harvard-style cover letter is hurting your applications. The process is just super competitive and there is a pretty large amount of luck involved. But I'd triple-check your materials for typos. Stuff like that certainly can hurt you.
Thanks. The bold is what I figured, but after checking, rechecking, and triple checking my materials for mistakes I've gotten to the point of overanalyzing why no one is biting.
Are you customizing the cover letters? Even though harvard is known as bare bones, they actually strongly encourage tailoring apps to the judge or the geography. I'm not suggesting inventing fictional ties, but IME you should always have some degree of customization after "my name is X, I am applying for term X. I go to Y and am editor of X." What you're doing now sounds like it may be the bare minimum - if it's what I described above, t's basically "please see attached."

Absent real ties to the neighborhood, the best way to achieve this is "I am especially intersted in clerking for you after speaking with former clerk Z, who had wonderful things Q and L to say about his/her clerkship." Even this one sentence conveys a lot about your level of interest in the chambers (hey, this guy took the time to reach out).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Finally made it happen on the fifth try!

Same anon: congrats, I know how good it feels. If you're anything like me, it will progress from disbelief to relief to happiness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 am

Following an interview is there some sort of rejection e-mail or letter that chambers sends to notify you that the process is complete? I had an interview 3.5 weeks ago and was told I would hear between 2-3 weeks so I am assuming a ding at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Following an interview is there some sort of rejection e-mail or letter that chambers sends to notify you that the process is complete? I had an interview 3.5 weeks ago and was told I would hear between 2-3 weeks so I am assuming a ding at this point.
I've gotten ding letters from both of my failed interviews. One took exactly five weeks from the date I interviewed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Following an interview is there some sort of rejection e-mail or letter that chambers sends to notify you that the process is complete? I had an interview 3.5 weeks ago and was told I would hear between 2-3 weeks so I am assuming a ding at this point.
I've gotten ding letters from both of my failed interviews. One took exactly five weeks from the date I interviewed.
That stinks, I would've thought that chambers would just do the hiring and notifications to the other candidates during the same time frame. I've just given up hope for good news at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That stinks, I would've thought that chambers would just do the hiring and notifications to the other candidates during the same time frame. I've just given up hope for good news at this point.
He may have taken that long to decide, I don't know. My other rejection letter was basically sent out as soon as I walked out of chambers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:59 pm

FWIW, my judge has interviewed candidates over the past 2 months or so, and he hasn't finished hiring. He's indicated directly that he's still strongly considering someone who interviewed in early March (as well as people who interviewed more recently). Point being: never completely give up hope unless you're told you're out of the running. Judges move at their own pace.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, my judge has interviewed candidates over the past 2 months or so, and he hasn't finished hiring. He's indicated directly that he's still strongly considering someone who interviewed in early March (as well as people who interviewed more recently). Point being: never completely give up hope unless you're told you're out of the running. Judges move at their own pace.
Good to hear. I'm holding out hope for an interview I had 3 weeks ago. It's not a ding until it's a ding.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”