Any Current or Former Bristow Fellows Out There?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Any Current or Former Bristow Fellows Out There?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Are there any Bristows out there? I'm trying to decide whether to apply, and have a couple questions about the program.

Anonymous User

Re: Any Current or Former Bristow Fellows Out There?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:00 am

I'm in the same boat. What are you thinking of using as a writing sample?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the same boat. What are you thinking of using as a writing sample?

Probs just a chunk of bench memo. Hated my law review work, so that's really all the unedited writing I have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:53 am

Bumping as the next term of applications gets underway. Would also be interested in hearing from past applicants even if they were unsuccessful - what did you use as writing samples, how long was it, did you get any advice you thought was particularly helpful? Are you out of the running if you were below #1 in your class?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping as the next term of applications gets underway. Would also be interested in hearing from past applicants even if they were unsuccessful - what did you use as writing samples, how long was it, did you get any advice you thought was particularly helpful? Are you out of the running if you were below #1 in your class?

Also interested in this, particularly what people used as a writing sample and how long it was. I won't start my clerkship until right before the Bristow deadline, so I guess I'm stuck with my Note. Should I just send the published version? Excerpt? Edit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping as the next term of applications gets underway. Would also be interested in hearing from past applicants even if they were unsuccessful - what did you use as writing samples, how long was it, did you get any advice you thought was particularly helpful? Are you out of the running if you were below #1 in your class?

Also interested in this, particularly what people used as a writing sample and how long it was. I won't start my clerkship until right before the Bristow deadline, so I guess I'm stuck with my Note. Should I just send the published version? Excerpt? Edit?

I'm a current Court of Appeals clerk and have watched several friends go through the process. My sense is that the importance of phone calls in the Bristow hiring process is underestimated. It's very much a black box -- no interviews, etc. -- and I think it matters a lot if your Court of Appeals judge or perhaps a well-connected professor makes a phone call to the SG in October. (It's not an accident that three of the four incoming Bristows applied after they had already completed their first clerkship.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current Court of Appeals clerk and have watched several friends go through the process. My sense is that the importance of phone calls in the Bristow hiring process is underestimated. It's very much a black box -- no interviews, etc. -- and I think it matters a lot if your Court of Appeals judge or perhaps a well-connected professor makes a phone call to the SG in October. (It's not an accident that three of the four incoming Bristows applied after they had already completed their first clerkship.)

Pretty sure this is all correct.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Historically, it looks like Bristow notifications have come out around this time. Checking back in to see if anyone has heard/when I can begin expecting my thin envelope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Historically, it looks like Bristow notifications have come out around this time. Checking back in to see if anyone has heard/when I can begin expecting my thin envelope.

Same boat! Also interviewed with DOJ, so I'm waiting for any news really. Ugh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Calls have gone out.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�