Interning for 3rd Federal Judge or Elsewhere???

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
3L_At_Law

New

Interning for 3rd Federal Judge or Elsewhere???

Postby 3L_At_Law » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:37 pm

I am a rising 3L and I am interested in clerking. I have previously interned for judges in two different districts (one where my school is located and one in my hometown) commercial litigation. My grades are mediocre at a Top 40 law school, but I have been fortunate enough to have landed 2 clerkship interviews, unfortunately I received 0 offers.

I plan to intern/extern in the fall and spring, but was curious whether interning for a 3rd federal judge would improve my chances of landing a clerkship? Or should I look elsewhere, i.e. a small firm, the Gov't, research assistant, etc?
Last edited by 3L_At_Law on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Interning for 3rd Bankruptcy Judge or Elsewhere???

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 pm

D. ct. clerk here. I may be biased, but I think candidates who show an exceedingly strong interest in clerking (e.g., by interning with judges) are the kind of candidates I'd want to interview. I interned for 3 civil judges in law school and it definitely helped because it made it clear to the judge that I want to clerk.

I'm sure some people might think you are a little limited, but as a law student, you are already so limited in your exposure to legal practice that it shouldn't matter much to judges, except those who want pre- or post-grad experience.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�