Columbia or Berkeley? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Columbia or Berkeley?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:46 pm

I've been accepted as a transfer at both...which would put me in a better position for federal clerkships?

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Re: Columbia or Berkeley?

Post by TheodoreKGB » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:18 pm

Securing a fed clerkship as a transfer is outrageously rare outside of HYS. Your chances are probably equally infinitesimal unless you're targeting D. S.D w/ ties or something.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:32 pm

The likelihood of getting a clerkship shouldn't sway your decision here. Go to Columbia, the job prospects are better across the board. The only reason for B is that you really want to be in California. But I'm not convinced that showing up at B as a transfer is going to give you enough of a connection to get a job in california at OCI.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:32 pm

The two schools are about the same for clerkship placement overall. If you want to clerk in one of the California district courts or the Ninth Circuit, Berkeley would be better. As another poster pointed out, however, it's pretty tough to get a clerkship as a transfer coming out of either of those schools

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Berkeley has really stepped up its clerkship game in the last two years. I know a few transfer students who landed clerkships, too.

(Full disclosure: '13 grad).

apparentlynew

New

Post by apparentlynew » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:18 pm

"better for clerkships" is a funny question. Job markets are regional, even clerkship job markets. I strongly suspect that the reason Columbia does worse in clerkships is because its students are frequently targeting SDNY/EDNY/2d Cir, which are oversubscribed by HYSCCN as it is. Berkely, on the other hand, may be second only to SLS on the west coast in terms of connections to west coast judges (consider how many judges, district and appellate, went to Berkeley). And there are a lot of fricking judges in the 9th circuit.

So you need to ask a better question than "can I get a clerkship?" You need to ask WHERE you want to clerk, and how badly. If it's SDNY or bust for you, there's really no way in hell Berkeley beats Columbia there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:26 pm

As a transfer to Berkeley who clerked on the Ninth Circuit, I can say transfers do fine with clerkship applications (a number of fellow transfers landed clerkships that I know of).

And transfers at Berkeley tend to great at OCI too (there was a thread on a Berkeley blog a few years back about Boalt 2Ls being pissed the transfers were "stealing" all of their jobs). The year I did OCI, for instance, every single summer associate from Berkeley that went to a specific V20 was a Hastings transfer. It was something like 3 or 4 summers, none of whom started at Boalt. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is true at Colombia.

Ultimately, you should pick the place you'll be happiest living and studying for 2 years. And if you know you want to stay on the West/East Coast, that should figure pretty heavily too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”