State Intermediate Appellate Court Chances Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

State Intermediate Appellate Court Chances

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Currently median at a T20 looking to apply for a clerkship with an intermediate appellate court in my hometown. Given my local ties and other connections (interned with a Federal district judge in the area), what are my chances? From my research it appears that the court seems to hire pretty heavily from a local T4 school, although those that are hired tend to be at the top of their class.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: State Intermediate Appellate Court Chances

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:28 am

Extracurriculars? Moot Court?

If a judge can pick the cream of the crop--EIC of law review, moot court champions, etc.--at a local law school, then he is unlikely to pick a middle of the road student at another law school, even a T14 one. This is especially true if he consistently hires from the local law school. He knows what he is getting. And he doesn't have to worry about a miss-hire because of his history with the school's students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:09 pm

No one here will be able to tell you, it varies so much depending on the court, the judge, and the applicant. Personally, the intermediate court I'm in has 1 clerk from a state school in a neighboring state. I'm probably top third at a T14, and the others are all career clerks or from the local state school. I have no idea how competitive they were. Just apply and hope you get an interview.

Oh, and I may be the exception, but literally at least the past 3 clerks for my judge were from the local state school. But I had good reasons for being in this state, I guess. Who knows, or maybe the judge just liked me :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”