Re-Location Expenses Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re-Location Expenses

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 6:18 am

Does anyone know if federal clerks get re-location expenses reimbursed? I'm talking about moving from the city of one's law school to the city of one's D. Ct. clerkship. Thanks in advance!

Citizen Genet

Silver

Re: Re-Location Expenses

Post by Citizen Genet » Wed May 14, 2014 7:31 am

Almost universally no. I heard a rumor that clerks in Hawaii were authorized for relocation expenses. But I don'thave aanything to confirm that. But from CD Cal to EDVa Ihave not seen it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 9:01 am

There are a few districts that authorize moving expenses. That said, all the ones I know of that do this aren't on the U.S. mainland. I haven't heard of any mainland district paying for their clerks to move.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed May 14, 2014 9:09 am

my friend who is clerking is planning on taking out a private bar loan. you can take these out in fall of 3L and I'd highly recommend doing it then because your debt load on your credit report will be lower and you will be much more likely to get approved.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Wed May 14, 2014 11:38 am

If you do re-locate, be sure to save receipts and other expense records. While you won't get reimbursed from the court, the tax refund can be decent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Only in AK, HI and the territories, as far as I know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”