Networking Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Networking

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:05 am

1L soon-to-be 2L here.

I keep hearing about how important connections are, especially in terms of networking with profs and present/former clerks to get them to move your application to the 'top of the pile.' It seems logically then the goal would be to network with as many profs and clerks over the summer as possible and ask them to help your application get a glance from the judge. Sort of a 'massmail' strategy, except with clerkship networking. Is this credited? Or is there some sort of etiquette that tempers this?

Gold

Re: Networking

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:1L soon-to-be 2L here.

I keep hearing about how important connections are, especially in terms of networking with profs and present/former clerks to get them to move your application to the 'top of the pile.' It seems logically then the goal would be to network with as many profs and clerks over the summer as possible and ask them to help your application get a glance from the judge. Sort of a 'massmail' strategy, except with clerkship networking. Is this credited? Or is there some sort of etiquette that tempers this?
It might take you a really long time to get to know that many profs. Focus on the profs you take classes with and/or work for as an RA. They will know enough about your work to be able to meaningfully recommend you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:57 am

I guess I meant more in terms of non-prof acquaintances. I know I couple of former clerks as well as a bunch of 3Ls who know current/former clerks, some casually, some pretty well. Should I be asking as many of them to pull favors for me as possible (i.e. the more people you ask, the more looks you'll get from judges)? Or is there some kind of etiquette that says it's only polite to ask if you have a real relationship with them? In other words, how aggressive should I be in seeking out people I don't know very well but could help get my resume a look?

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I meant more in terms of non-prof acquaintances. I know I couple of former clerks as well as a bunch of 3Ls who know current/former clerks, some casually, some pretty well. Should I be asking as many of them to pull favors for me as possible (i.e. the more people you ask, the more looks you'll get from judges)? Or is there some kind of etiquette that says it's only polite to ask if you have a real relationship with them? In other words, how aggressive should I be in seeking out people I don't know very well but could help get my resume a look?
Be careful about focusing on the endgame. Based on how you approach people, they might see your true intentions, which might have a negative result. While all of us know that networking is a necessary evil for job purposes, you might become "that guy" who only talks to people based on their potential prestige and what they can do for you.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I meant more in terms of non-prof acquaintances. I know I couple of former clerks as well as a bunch of 3Ls who know current/former clerks, some casually, some pretty well. Should I be asking as many of them to pull favors for me as possible (i.e. the more people you ask, the more looks you'll get from judges)? Or is there some kind of etiquette that says it's only polite to ask if you have a real relationship with them? In other words, how aggressive should I be in seeking out people I don't know very well but could help get my resume a look?
Networking isn't really about asking people to pull favors for you - it's about getting to know people and getting on their radar so when an opportunity arises, they naturally think of you, as well as building a reciprocal relationship. Asking for favors is just asking for favors.

Anyway, it's way too early to be apply to judges just yet. At this point, I think it makes sense to ask people you know who've clerked/are going to clerk if they're willing to chat with you about the experience/the application process, in a general sense. You're getting information from them (and getting to know them better if they're not people you know really well). Later, when you've identified the judges you want to apply for, you can get back in touch and say something like, "It was so great talking to you about clerking, I'm applying to [your judge] now, would you mind if I put in my cover letter that I'd spoken to you?"

I do think there has to be some kind of substantive relationship for you to ask someone to contact a judge for you. It's one thing to say in a cover letter "I'm applying at the suggestion of [Former Clerk X], who spoke extremely highly of his/her experience clerking for you," or, if you know a current clerk, to ask them if they'll take a look out for your application (this may or may not make any difference depending on how the judge handles the hiring process). It's another thing to ask someone to call up a judge for you - I'd say the latter person has to know you fairly well, not so much for etiquette reasons, but just because a judge will want to know about your work and your intellectual abilities. In most cases, this is going to be profs or current attorneys you've worked for, not people you went to school with or other acquaintances.

I also don't think a lot of people who haven't yet started their clerkship will want to contact their judge about an applicant. It depends on the clerk/judge, of course, but I know I'd have felt weird suggesting a candidate before I'd even started to work/get to know the judge yet.

tl;dr - it only really makes sense to ask people who know your work well to call up judges for you, so profs or attorneys you've worked - there are other kinds of less formal contacts that can be helpful to you, but not necessarily as direct calls to judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:08 am

Thank you. That was helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”