Applying for a post-clerkship clerkship. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Applying for a post-clerkship clerkship.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:46 am

Maybe I'm a bit late here, but I was wondering how people go about applying for another clerkship once their current clerkship is over. I ask because I will be starting a clerkship with my state's Supreme Court in July and would like to clerk at the federal level once this clerkship is complete.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Applying for a post-clerkship clerkship.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:01 am

You should just apply like a normal candidate. Except you can include your upcoming clerkship on your resume and cv. Perhaps your SSC judge is willing to write you a letter of recommendation or call fed. judges' chambers on your behalf. Of course, this may not be possible or might be of limited utility because you haven't actually done work for your judge yet; but that question is for you to navigate. Good luck!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:07 am

It's basically the same process. Don't wait until your clerkship is over to apply (not sure if that was what you were suggesting). In fact, if you're looking for a clerkship for 2015-16, you should be applying now (and probably should have been applying already, to be honest). You can put your upcoming clerkship on your resume/mention it in your cover letter, and it will probably help; you will be an alumni/experienced applicant, and although appellate work is very different from federal district court, having worked for a judge (by the time the clerkship would start) can be appealing to judges. Otherwise it's pretty much the usual: send a (brief) cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three LORs. I would line up the LORs right away (you don't need new people, but the people who wrote your SSC letters should update them), and in fact, it might be worth sending off your applications now noting that LORs will follow (depending on when you can get the letters sent).

Of course, nothing says you have to limit yourself to 2015-16, but it's easier to go straight from one clerkship to the next, than to figure out what to do for a year in between. But now that the federal hiring plan has gone away, people have started applying to federal judges as soon as they have 2L first semester grades. I doubt all judges have shifted to hiring so early, but I would start sending applications now.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:53 pm

If one is optimistic about obtaining a research and writing-heavy public sector job by September (possibly a state trial court clerkship), is there any use in applying for a federal clerkship now, without that lined up? Or does the obvious uncertainty of a stated may graduation, but nothing on the resume for sept 14 to sept 15 automatically remove one from the pile? Assume decently strong grades at strong t30, published more than once.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Do most people put it on their resume, or just cover letter?

If on resume, do I just put a line that says, for example, Clerk to XXX, Fall 2014 - Fall 2015?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do most people put it on their resume, or just cover letter?

If on resume, do I just put a line that says, for example, Clerk to XXX, Fall 2014 - Fall 2015?
I don't know what most do but I put it in both. And that format looks fine to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”