Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2980
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Does anyone know what Callahan's hiring schedule is? I have a friend that's interested in applying.


She hires relatively shortly before clerks are supposed to start. At least she did when my friend interviewed with her - I think it was 3 or 4 months before the anticipated start date. Also, unsolicited info on her hiring practices: she hires people with multiple years of experience and strongly prefers prior clerkship experience. My friend had almost 5 years of experience and she hired someone with close to 10 instead. Seemed to be pretty standard typical based on her then-current clerks.


Thanks! That's good info. Much appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:47 pm

Anyone hear anything at all from Murguia? Have heard that she may have interviewed intermittently for several months yet no one has heard one way or another. Could be wrong--hearsay.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:STATUS OF THE NINTH

Bea: Status unknown
Berzon: Actively interviewing
Bybee: Status unknown
Callahan: Not hiring
Christen: Couple of spots left
Clifton: Not hiring until the summer
Fisher: Actively interviewing
Fletcher: Done
Friedland: Done
Gould: Actively interviewing
Graber: Actively interviewing
Hawkins: Interviewing
Ikuta: Done
Kleinfeld: Interviewing
Kozinski: Kozinski
McKeown: Done
Murguia: Actively interviewing
Nelson: Not hiring
Nguyen: Status unknown
Noonan: Done
Owens: Done
Paez: Done
Rawlinson: Status unknown
Reinhardt: Done
Smith: Done
Tallman: Done
Tashima: Actively interviewing
Thomas: Not hiring
Wallace: Not hiring
Wardlaw: Done
Watford: Done



LOLOLOLOL Kozinski: Kozinski
Love it. Hilarious.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:39 pm

That list is missing Hurwitz.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That list is missing Hurwitz.

And Pregerson

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:22 pm

and O'Scannlain (done)

GoneSouth
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby GoneSouth » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:56 pm

Judge Bea was trolling hard for clerks at Columbia today. No idea for what year, but he definitely is looking for applications

ETA: I should note that he wants at least three semesters of grades

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:STATUS OF THE NINTH

Bea: Status unknown
Berzon: Actively interviewing
Bybee: Status unknown
Callahan: Not hiring
Christen: Couple of spots left
Clifton: Not hiring until the summer
Fisher: Actively interviewing
Fletcher: Done
Friedland: Done
Gould: Actively interviewing
Graber: Actively interviewing
Hawkins: Interviewing
Ikuta: Done
Kleinfeld: Interviewing
Kozinski: Kozinski
McKeown: Done
Murguia: Actively interviewing
Nelson: Not hiring
Nguyen: Status unknown
Noonan: Done
Owens: Done
Paez: Done
Rawlinson: Status unknown
Reinhardt: Done
Smith: Done
Tallman: Done
Tashima: Actively interviewing
Thomas: Not hiring
Wallace: Not hiring
Wardlaw: Done
Watford: Done



LOLOLOLOL Kozinski: Kozinski
Love it. Hilarious.


Judge Kozinski is full for both 17-18 and 18-19.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5446
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby rpupkin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Judge Kozinski is full for both 17-18 and 18-19.

Kozinksi now hiring based on the results of midterm practice exams. You gotta stay ahead of the competition.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:31 am

GoneSouth wrote:Judge Bea was trolling hard for clerks at Columbia today. No idea for what year, but he definitely is looking for applications

ETA: I should note that he wants at least three semesters of grades


He's kind of a shitty boss, I think. His clerks seem scared of him.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:STATUS OF THE NINTH

Bea: Status unknown
Berzon: Actively interviewing
Bybee: Status unknown
Callahan: Not hiring
Christen: Couple of spots left
Clifton: Not hiring until the summer
Fisher: Actively interviewing
Fletcher: Done
Friedland: Done
Gould: Actively interviewing
Graber: Actively interviewing
Hawkins: Interviewing
Ikuta: Done
Kleinfeld: Interviewing
Kozinski: Kozinski
McKeown: Done
Murguia: Actively interviewing
Nelson: Not hiring
Nguyen: Status unknown
Noonan: Done
Owens: Done
Paez: Done
Rawlinson: Status unknown
Reinhardt: Done
Smith: Done
Tallman: Done
Tashima: Actively interviewing
Thomas: Not hiring
Wallace: Not hiring
Wardlaw: Done
Watford: Done



LOLOLOLOL Kozinski: Kozinski
Love it. Hilarious.


Judge Kozinski is full for both 17-18 and 18-19.


couple of the other feeders (O'scannlain, etc.) have interviewed for 18-19 as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:50 pm

STATUS OF THE NINTH

Bea: Done
Berzon: Done
Bybee: Status unknown; accepting applications
Callahan: Hired at least one for 2017
Christen: Done
Clifton: Not hiring until the summer; application up on OSCAR
Fernandez: Status unknown
Fisher: Actively interviewing
Fletcher: Done
Friedland: Done
Gould: Actively interviewing
Graber: Actively interviewing
Hawkins: Done
Hurwitz: Status unknown
Ikuta: Done
Kleinfeld: Interviewing
Kozinski: Done
McKeown: Done
Murguia: Actively interviewing (could be done); hired at least one clerk for 2017
Nelson: Not hiring
Nguyen: Status unknown
Noonan: Done
O'Scannlain: Done
Owens: Done
Paez: Done
Pregerson: Status unknown
Rawlinson: Status unknown
Reinhardt: Done
Smith: Done
Tallman: Done
Tashima: Status unknown; accepting applications
Thomas: Accepting applications
Wallace: Not hiring
Wardlaw: Done
Watford: Done

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:STATUS OF THE NINTH

Bea: Done
Berzon: Done
Bybee: Status unknown; accepting applications
Callahan: Hired at least one for 2017
Christen: Done
Clifton: Not hiring until the summer; application up on OSCAR
Fernandez: Status unknown
Fisher: Actively interviewing
Fletcher: Done
Friedland: Done
Gould: Actively interviewing
Graber: Actively interviewing
Hawkins: Done
Hurwitz: Status unknown
Ikuta: Done
Kleinfeld: Interviewing
Kozinski: Done
McKeown: Done
Murguia: Actively interviewing (could be done); hired at least one clerk for 2017
Nelson: Not hiring
Nguyen: Status unknown
Noonan: Done
O'Scannlain: Done
Owens: Done
Paez: Done
Pregerson: Status unknown
Rawlinson: Status unknown
Reinhardt: Done
Smith: Done
Tallman: Done
Tashima: Status unknown; accepting applications
Thomas: Accepting applications
Wallace: Not hiring
Wardlaw: Done
Watford: Done

Hurwitz is done (finished early fall). Pregerson is apparently waiting to accept applications and is finally going (has gone?) on senior status.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:32 am

There are 2 Smiths in the 9th. I think N. Randy and Milan are done for 17-18

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Pregerson went senior as of 12.11.15. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Pregerson.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:04 pm

Any insight into Judge Bea? He's apparently looking for a 1/2 clerk 1/2 judicial assistant position, position opened two days ago and start date is Feb 1st!?!? Is a 1/2 judicial assistant position much less desirable, would it still be considered a clerkship for future employers? I'd normally not even bother applying for a 9th circuit CoA position, just wondering if there's something I'm missing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any insight into Judge Bea? He's apparently looking for a 1/2 clerk 1/2 judicial assistant position, position opened two days ago and start date is Feb 1st!?!? Is a 1/2 judicial assistant position much less desirable, would it still be considered a clerkship for future employers? I'd normally not even bother applying for a 9th circuit CoA position, just wondering if there's something I'm missing.


From my connections when I was considering where to apply for clerkships, heard that Bea was worth avoiding. It may be unfair to extrapolate, but I have a feeling the clerk/assistant were fired or just left due to issues within the chambers.

That being said, if it's only for sixth months, and you can still count it as a clerkship for the 2015-16 term on your resume (I'll defer to others regarding this point), it may be worth doing. That's especially true if you're in a position to start that quickly and are looking for a change.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:STATUS OF THE NINTH

Bea: Done
Berzon: Done
Bybee: Status unknown; accepting applications
Callahan: Hired at least one for 2017
Christen: Done
Clifton: Not hiring until the summer; application up on OSCAR
Fernandez: Status unknown
Fisher: Actively interviewing
Fletcher: Done
Friedland: Done
Gould: Actively interviewing
Graber: Actively interviewing
Hawkins: Done
Hurwitz: Status unknown
Ikuta: Done
Kleinfeld: Interviewing
Kozinski: Done
McKeown: Done
Murguia: Actively interviewing (could be done); hired at least one clerk for 2017
Nelson: Not hiring
Nguyen: Status unknown
Noonan: Done
O'Scannlain: Done
Owens: Done
Paez: Done
Pregerson: Status unknown
Rawlinson: Status unknown
Reinhardt: Done
Smith: Done
Tallman: Done
Tashima: Status unknown; accepting applications
Thomas: Accepting applications
Wallace: Not hiring
Wardlaw: Done
Watford: Done


Just want to drop by and say that I appreciate the status update, it helped me clear up some OSCAR slots!

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:47 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:14 am

^ last thing I was told was that they hired two clerks in November and hadn't decided on the rest. I interviewed prior to that and haven't heard one way or another.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from murguia


Any news on your end? Any positions still open?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from murguia


Recent rejection letter

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:20 pm

^How long after your interview did it come? Snail mail I presume?

naenae2745
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby naenae2745 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from murguia


Recent rejection letter


.
Last edited by naenae2745 on Mon May 02, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299631
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^How long after your interview did it come? Snail mail I presume?


Weeks/months. Yes snail mail.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.