Which Bar Exam For Biglaw in Chicago (Post-Clerkship)? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Which Bar Exam For Biglaw in Chicago (Post-Clerkship)?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 am

I'm graduating this spring and have a CoA clerkship in the midwest. I'm planning afterwards to work in Chicago for at least a year or two (likely Biglaw...presumably I'll apply during the clerkship). Do I need to take the Illinois bar exam this summer instead of New York? Is it important to Chicago Biglaw that I be a member of the Illinois bar either (1) because it shows I want to work in Chicago or (2) it's strange to have lawyers working in Chicago that aren't licensed to practice there?

I'm asking in part because there's a huge cost difference...Illinois is ridiculously expensive and I would be a late registrant. And I should get moving now if I need to switch.

Thanks!

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Re: Which Bar Exam For Biglaw in Chicago (Post-Clerkship)?

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm graduating this spring and have a CoA clerkship in the midwest. I'm planning afterwards to work in Chicago for at least a year or two (likely Biglaw...presumably I'll apply during the clerkship). Do I need to take the Illinois bar exam this summer instead of New York? Is it important to Chicago Biglaw that I be a member of the Illinois bar either (1) because it shows I want to work in Chicago or (2) it's strange to have lawyers working in Chicago that aren't licensed to practice there?

I'm asking in part because there's a huge cost difference...Illinois is ridiculously expensive and I would be a late registrant. And I should get moving now if I need to switch.

Thanks!
You need to be a member of the bar wherever you practice, so if you want to practice in Chicago, you'll need to take the Illinois bar either before or after the clerkship. It's generally much easier to take a bar before than after. Additionally, it can help show commitment to a market, but if you don't already have ties there and you summered in another city, Chicago will be an uphill battle.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”