Is there a time length needed to receive a clerkship bonus? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Is there a time length needed to receive a clerkship bonus?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:54 pm

For firms that give clerkship bonuses, is there a time requirement? I had always thought that a single "year" was sufficient, even if that year was, say, actually 10 months. But, I've started to hear people mentioning needing to "hit 12 months," etc., and I'm wondering if there is an actual "month" requirement. Thanks.

Royalduck

New

Re: Is there a time length needed to receive a clerkship bonus?

Post by Royalduck » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:53 pm

I was wondering about something similar:
1. time length of clerkship
2. time length at the firm - surely they don't give the full bonus to you your first day back? Is it after one year? or spread out over more?

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:11 am

Royalduck wrote:I was wondering about something similar:
2. time length at the firm - surely they don't give the full bonus to you your first day back? Is it after one year? or spread out over more?
As with pretty much everything in this forum, it depends.

Some firms do a lump sum up front (I'm pretty sure Quinn Emmanuel and Jones Day take this approach). Others spread it out over the year (I don't know any firm that does this specifically, just heard about it second hand so YMMV on this one.) And some do half up front, half late. (Arnold & Porter uses this approach, paying $25k on day 1 and $25k on your 1 year mark.)

I don't get what you mean by "time length of clerkship?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:

Some firms do a lump sum up front (I'm pretty sure Quinn Emmanuel and Jones Day take this approach). Others spread it out over the year (I don't know any firm that does this specifically, just heard about it second hand so YMMV on this one.) And some do half up front, half late. (Arnold & Porter uses this approach, paying $25k on day 1 and $25k on your 1 year mark.)

My clerkship goes from August until mid-June. This is less than 12 months. If there was a "12 month" requirement, I would not be eligible for a bonus.

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

My clerkship goes from August until mid-June. This is less than 12 months. If there was a "12 month" requirement, I would not be eligible for a bonus.
Relax. Firms pay bonuses for your having completed a clerkship -- they don't care whether your term was 10 months or 14 months...

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

Gotcha. Never heard of a firm denying a bonus because the clerkship was less than a year, but to be honest, I've never heard of a clerkship going less than a year. My guess is that it won't matter and at the worst, they'd pro-rate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”