Gifts for Professors Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ccmbr006

Bronze

Gifts for Professors

Post by ccmbr006 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 pm

I just got an offer for a District Court clerkship, and I accepted it. My recommendations did not arrive in the mail, but all three of my professors called the judge within a few minutes of hearing that the letters did not arrive. Needless to say, I'm pretty grateful for their help, and I'd really like to give them a little gift in addition to a thank you note.

What kind of gift is appropriate?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Gifts for Professors

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:59 pm

A "thank you" note.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:06 pm

A good watch but not something ridiculous.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:17 pm

You don't want to be too personal but you definitely want to convey thanks and respect. I'd go with a hand job.

ccmbr006

Bronze

Post by ccmbr006 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:41 pm

transferror wrote:You don't want to be too personal but you definitely want to convey thanks and respect. I'd go with a hand job.
I thought of that, but I didn't think a handy showed sufficient gratitude.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:14 pm

ccmbr006 wrote:I thought of that, but I didn't think a handy showed sufficient gratitude.
Then have your significant other give the hand job. That should do the trick. If you're single, maybe ask one of your parents. It would feel special coming from a third party, especially if you are there to watch and give a light golf clap when it's over.

Edit: Grammar. It's important, kids.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Gifts aren't necessary. But something along the lines of a coffee mug with a pound of coffee beans/Starbucks card would be sufficient. Maybe booze. It's a little hard if you don't know them well enough to know whether they drink booze/coffee/tea or what. Otherwise maybe some kind of food (chocolate/cookies), or some kind of nice desk accessory or small plant or the like. (If the clerkship is in another part of the country, something from that region?) Anything more substantial/personal than that probably starts to look weird, unless you have some other kind of relationship that would justify it.

name of user

New

Post by name of user » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Whatever you do, don't email them to say "I'll be bringing you a gift soon!" They'll protest. Just do it in person without notifying them in advance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”