Value of BK Ct Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Value of BK Ct Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:53 am

Have SA in Weil/Kirkland restructuring practice. Go to a T14 school with good grades.

Should I go for a D. Del or SDNY bk clerkship?

What's the value of one?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if SDNY/DDel clerkships are like federal clerkships for litigation--where it's so beneficial for your career that it's crazy not to get one (if you can).

Anonymous User

Re: Value of BK Ct Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:43 am

There are plenty of non insane reasons for passing on one, but it will make you better prepared for your job when you start and it will give you a good chance to see if bk work is actually what you like doing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:There are plenty of non insane reasons for passing on one, but it will make you better prepared for your job when you start and it will give you a good chance to see if bk work is actually what you like doing
OP here. Will it do anything else? Perhaps improve exit options or increase partnership chances? I don't think being better prepared and knowing if I like bk is worth a year of my life...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There are plenty of non insane reasons for passing on one, but it will make you better prepared for your job when you start and it will give you a good chance to see if bk work is actually what you like doing
OP here. Will it do anything else? Perhaps improve exit options or increase partnership chances? I don't think being better prepared and knowing if I like bk is worth a year of my life...
Hard to measure what a bk clerkship adds to your exit options or partnership chances. However, I think "being better prepared" is selling the experience a little short. The tangible and direct benefits are a full year of high level substantive experience--something you're not going to get as a first year associate. Also, your employer may find the insight you can provide into your judge's decision-making process a valuable asset.

You may want to reach out to someone in your practice group who has clerkship experience to get a better idea of the benefits. If you're at Weil/Kirkland, I'm sure there's no shortage of associates with that kind of background.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”