Writing other judges?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Writing other judges?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:14 am

So I got an interview request from a judge that gives exploding offers right after the interview. Obviously that does not mean I am getting an offer. However, I do want to prepared in case I do get an offer.

Should I alert other judges that I got the interview from the judge? If so, what the appropriate "message" to send them - I do not want to mention the judge by name obviously

arklaw13

Re: Writing other judges?

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:20 am

I wouldn't do that unless you've already interviewed with those judges. Even that case, writing them in advance may not be the best idea anyway. Clerks will probably have a better answer regarding that.

What most people do is ask the judge giving the exploding offer if he can give you 10 minutes to make a couple calls, call the chambers of your first/second/... choices quickly and tell them that you're at judge x's office and have an offer that you're going to accept unless your first/second/... choice wants you.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should I alert other judges that I got the interview from the judge?

I would not. I would accept the job, should you get the offer. And then if you are unhappy with your lack of prestige, apply to your "first choice" judges next year (or two).

Realize that a judge who is interviewing you early and giving an exploding offer is doing so for a reason--to get the best employee possible. That person might just be you. If you think you're too good for this judge, then withdraw your application now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 am

ggocat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should I alert other judges that I got the interview from the judge?

I would not. I would accept the job, should you get the offer. And then if you are unhappy with your lack of prestige, apply to your "first choice" judges next year (or two).

Realize that a judge who is interviewing you early and giving an exploding offer is doing so for a reason--to get the best employee possible. That person might just be you. If you think you're too good for this judge, then withdraw your application now.

OP here: Thanks! and no not at all: I have no prestige problems and would really like to work for this judge. I am sorry if I gave the opposite impression in any way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 am

I would absolutely let any other chambers where you'd prefer to work (and where you think you have a shot) know right now that you've got an interview with this judge coming up. I did this and no one seemed even the least bit put off by it, and I wound up with a job I preferred (though of course would have been happy to have the other, but wound up withdrawing).

There's absolutely nothing selfish or arrogant about preferring one judge/location to another, and so long as you are respectful to other chambers and don't come off as a jerk when you let them know you'll be fine. Say something along the lines of "I wanted to let you know I've got an interview with judge x, who I understand gives exploding spot offers, on day y. I remain very interested in judge z and wanted to give you a heads up about this other interview in case you were interested in me. Obviously no worries if not." or similar and it should be fine (based on my experience at least).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would absolutely let any other chambers where you'd prefer to work (and where you think you have a shot) know right now that you've got an interview with this judge coming up. I did this and no one seemed even the least bit put off by it, and I wound up with a job I preferred (though of course would have been happy to have the other, but wound up withdrawing).

There's absolutely nothing selfish or arrogant about preferring one judge/location to another, and so long as you are respectful to other chambers and don't come off as a jerk when you let them know you'll be fine. Say something along the lines of "I wanted to let you know I've got an interview with judge x, who I understand gives exploding spot offers, on day y. I remain very interested in judge z and wanted to give you a heads up about this other interview in case you were interested in me. Obviously no worries if not." or similar and it should be fine (based on my experience at least).

For what it's worth, Yale's career services adamantly discourages doing this...not sure what other schools have to say, but it's always slightly risky business playing judges off one another. You have an interview with a judge and may land an awesome clerkship...I say be happy with that or, as suggested above, withdraw your application and cancel the interview.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:59 pm

i thought using 1 clerkship interview as a springboard to get multiple other interviews was like the primary clerkship strategy? GTL Rev used to talk about it all the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: Thanks! and no not at all: I have no prestige problems and would really like to work for this judge. I am sorry if I gave the opposite impression in any way.

Sorry I jumped to that conclusion because you gave no explanation for why you want to contact other judges. I do think there are appropriate circumstances for notifying other judges of a pending interview, but not necessarily just to let another judge to "get me first."

For example, if you live in City A and your interview is in City B, it would be wholly appropriate to mention your interview to other judges in City B to ask if you could meet with the judges around the same time.

To be fair, you could certainly play the "get me first" game, and it might actually work. It just comes across to me as arrogant when law school graduates are a dime a dozen (including those who would qualify for a clerkship).

edit: Accidental anonymous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would absolutely let any other chambers where you'd prefer to work (and where you think you have a shot) know right now that you've got an interview with this judge coming up. I did this and no one seemed even the least bit put off by it, and I wound up with a job I preferred (though of course would have been happy to have the other, but wound up withdrawing).

For what it's worth, Yale's career services adamantly discourages doing this...not sure what other schools have to say, but it's always slightly risky business playing judges off one another. You have an interview with a judge and may land an awesome clerkship...I say be happy with that or, as suggested above, withdraw your application and cancel the interview.

Anon you're responding to here. CSOs advise based on the school's institutional interest, which may or may not align with individual students' interest. Maybe I'm way off base here, but at least *in my personal experience* no one batted an eyelash at this in chambers. I think it could come across badly if you're a jerk about it and act arrogant, but if you're polite I don't see how it would be a problem.

Edit to clarify that I'm speaking as someone who recently went through the application process, not someone in chambers currently.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:00 pm

patogordo wrote:i thought using 1 clerkship interview as a springboard to get multiple other interviews was like the primary clerkship strategy? GTL Rev used to talk about it all the time.

Yeah, I've seen this recommended all the time. Although I think the difference is between saying, "I'm going to be interviewing in your courthouse on [whatever date] and wondered if you would also be interested in meeting with me around that date," which is legit, and saying, "I'm going to be interviewing with a judge who makes exploding offers so if you'd like to hire me you better jump on that now," which comes across badly. (OP, I'm exaggerating - I know that's not what you were proposing to say - but there's a risk that that might be how it comes across. And I wish I had good advice on how to handle this, but I don't have anything beyond what everyone else has said.)

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”