Mentioning Connection in Cover Letter Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Mentioning Connection in Cover Letter

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Mentioning Connection in Cover Letter

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Absolutely. You should totally do that - in fact, I'd lead with it in the first paragraph ("I am a 2L at School X applying for a clerkship in your chambers for the 2015-16 term. Your Formerclerk, whom I worked with at firm X this summer, suggested that I apply" or the like).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:34 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Absolutely. You should totally do that - in fact, I'd lead with it in the first paragraph ("I am a 2L at School X applying for a clerkship in your chambers for the 2015-16 term. Your Formerclerk, whom I worked with at firm X this summer, suggested that I apply" or the like).
I lead all my cover letters by saying noted TLS poster A. Nony Mouse recommended that I apply. Worked really well for me.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you! However, my connection is no longer alive but was very influential in the district - is it still appropriate to lead with their name?
Is a dead connection a real thing? Seems like death is the ultimate un-connection. (I'm not being an asshole.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:17 pm

ph14 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Absolutely. You should totally do that - in fact, I'd lead with it in the first paragraph ("I am a 2L at School X applying for a clerkship in your chambers for the 2015-16 term. Your Formerclerk, whom I worked with at firm X this summer, suggested that I apply" or the like).
I lead all my cover letters by saying noted TLS poster A. Nony Mouse recommended that I apply. Worked really well for me.
:lol: Yes, this is absolutely the credited strategy.

As for the dead part... it depends on how you knew this person and when they died? I mean, if they died within the last year and you worked with them somehow, I think you could still say something like "I'm particularly interested in a clerkship in your chambers because when I worked with Dead Guy, he spoke so highly of clerking for you" or something perhaps a bit less kiss-ass. But yeah, if the judge can't actually talk to the connection any more, it's less helpful.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:18 pm

i would only do this if the guy's dying wish was for you to clerk

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”