Questions for 2-year clerks

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Questions for 2-year clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:11 pm

For those of you who clerked for two years, either a 2-year gig, or 2 years with different judges, how does the market treat you after-as a second-year or third-year? Do you find it difficult to market yourself to firms after because now you are on the market as a third-year (out of law school) but dont know firms' works? Please feel free to share pros and cons and whether you'd do it again or advise against it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Questions for 2-year clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm about 1.5 years into a 2 year clerkship now and in the midst of looking for a place to go once my time here is up and I have to leave the cushy world of working for the government and being able to consistently cut out at 5:00 and not think about work until the next morning.

So, like I said, I haven't found a job yet, but the firms I've spoken to or had interviews with have been split on class year credit. Some have said I'd come in as a 3rd year, others say I'd only be a 2nd year (and others don't really do strict "classes" like that at all and so it's more of a wishy-washy answer). My judge has a fair amount of contacts (as most judges probably do) and I'm sure I'll be working somewhere after my clerkship's over, but the search is a little nerve-wracking. Job-hunting as a clerk, whether 1 year or 2 year, puts you in a weird place where you keep hearing that you're supposed to be desireable for your clerkship experience, but lots of firms already hired their whole summer class and don't really need you, or maybe they'll need you, but you won't find out until a month or two before you'd otherwise be finished clerking and unemployed.

All that said, this is a great job and I'm very glad to have it and sort of wish I didn't have to leave at the end of summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Questions for 2-year clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm about 1.5 years into a 2 year clerkship now and in the midst of looking for a place to go once my time here is up and I have to leave the cushy world of working for the government and being able to consistently cut out at 5:00 and not think about work until the next morning.

So, like I said, I haven't found a job yet, but the firms I've spoken to or had interviews with have been split on class year credit. Some have said I'd come in as a 3rd year, others say I'd only be a 2nd year (and others don't really do strict "classes" like that at all and so it's more of a wishy-washy answer). My judge has a fair amount of contacts (as most judges probably do) and I'm sure I'll be working somewhere after my clerkship's over, but the search is a little nerve-wracking. Job-hunting as a clerk, whether 1 year or 2 year, puts you in a weird place where you keep hearing that you're supposed to be desireable for your clerkship experience, but lots of firms already hired their whole summer class and don't really need you, or maybe they'll need you, but you won't find out until a month or two before you'd otherwise be finished clerking and unemployed.

All that said, this is a great job and I'm very glad to have it and sort of wish I didn't have to leave at the end of summer.


Would clerking's end date in January put one at a disadvantage because most firms would already be filled their spots with clerks ending in August-September, especially for firms that wont let you know one/two months prior finishing your clerkship? Looking at CA market if that matters.

User avatar
legalese_retard
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Re: Questions for 2-year clerks

Postby legalese_retard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who clerked for two years, either a 2-year gig, or 2 years with different judges, how does the market treat you after-as a second-year or third-year? Do you find it difficult to market yourself to firms after because now you are on the market as a third-year (out of law school) but dont know firms' works? Please feel free to share pros and cons and whether you'd do it again or advise against it.


I have been clerking for 3 years and have been struggling in my job search. I have found no definitive answer on how to apply or how firms will perceive you. Some have considered my application along with their entry-level associates, others have told me that I would be considered along with lateral applications. However, I don't think the extra year or two will hurt you. So if you are competitive at a firm if you did a 1-year clerkship, I don't think an additional year or two will make you less competitive.

I'm not sure if this is a better approach, but I have started sending my cover letter/resumes to the hiring partners and not the firm recruiters. My reason is that attorneys will have a better understanding of what clerking is and how to consider your application. Depending on the experience of the recruiter, they may not know how to "classify" you for available positions. If they are only looking for entry level attorneys and your clerkship gives you three years experience, you might get an auto ding, even though the hiring partner would still want to consider you. Again, this is based on my opinion and limited interactions with some hiring personnel.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Questions for 2-year clerks

Postby ph14 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:38 am

legalese_retard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who clerked for two years, either a 2-year gig, or 2 years with different judges, how does the market treat you after-as a second-year or third-year? Do you find it difficult to market yourself to firms after because now you are on the market as a third-year (out of law school) but dont know firms' works? Please feel free to share pros and cons and whether you'd do it again or advise against it.


I have been clerking for 3 years and have been struggling in my job search. I have found no definitive answer on how to apply or how firms will perceive you. Some have considered my application along with their entry-level associates, others have told me that I would be considered along with lateral applications. However, I don't think the extra year or two will hurt you. So if you are competitive at a firm if you did a 1-year clerkship, I don't think an additional year or two will make you less competitive.

I'm not sure if this is a better approach, but I have started sending my cover letter/resumes to the hiring partners and not the firm recruiters. My reason is that attorneys will have a better understanding of what clerking is and how to consider your application. Depending on the experience of the recruiter, they may not know how to "classify" you for available positions. If they are only looking for entry level attorneys and your clerkship gives you three years experience, you might get an auto ding, even though the hiring partner would still want to consider you. Again, this is based on my opinion and limited interactions with some hiring personnel.


Can you elaborate on your experience? That's kind of rough if you did something like a 2 year DCT followed by a 1 year COA. What kind of credentials did you have pre-clerkship?




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.