Do I have to accept an interview? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Do I have to accept an interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Prob a dumb question, but if a judge offers me an interview, do I have to accept? So say i send out a bunch of CoA clerkship apps to a bunch of different circuits and after applying, I've decided that I defintely don't want to move to, e.g., Michigan for a year. Can I just say "thanks but no thanks" to the interview, or is that poor form? I've heard you can't really say no to an offer (according at least to my school's career services), so just not sure if the same holds true for interivews such that I should only apply to ones that I would take.

thanks

ph14

Gold

Re: Do I have to accept an interview?

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Prob a dumb question, but if a judge offers me an interview, do I have to accept? So say i send out a bunch of CoA clerkship apps to a bunch of different circuits and after applying, I've decided that I defintely don't want to move to, e.g., Michigan for a year. Can I just say "thanks but no thanks" to the interview, or is that poor form? I've heard you can't really say no to an offer (according at least to my school's career services), so just not sure if the same holds true for interivews such that I should only apply to ones that I would take.

thanks
No, you don't have to accept an interview. It's not great but if you're not going to go there it's definitely not worth it to pay to fly out and interview and waste the judge and law clerk's time. Just apologize and say your plans have change and respectfully declined the interview, etc.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:39 am

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Prob a dumb question, but if a judge offers me an interview, do I have to accept? So say i send out a bunch of CoA clerkship apps to a bunch of different circuits and after applying, I've decided that I defintely don't want to move to, e.g., Michigan for a year. Can I just say "thanks but no thanks" to the interview, or is that poor form? I've heard you can't really say no to an offer (according at least to my school's career services), so just not sure if the same holds true for interivews such that I should only apply to ones that I would take.

thanks
No, you don't have to accept an interview. It's not great but if you're not going to go there it's definitely not worth it to pay to fly out and interview and waste the judge and law clerk's time. Just apologize and say your plans have change and respectfully declined the interview, etc.
You should also take the time to affirmatively withdraw your apps everywhere you wouldn't accept an interview if offered one. Don't waste the judge and the clerks' time in considering your app.

elipad

New

Post by elipad » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:08 pm

Emma. wrote:
ph14 wrote:

thanks
You should also take the time to affirmatively withdraw your apps everywhere you wouldn't accept an interview if offered one. Don't waste the judge and the clerks' time in considering your app.

Yes, definitely don't accept if you aren't willing to go there. I, too, was in a somewhat similar situation during my first application season when I sent out like 200+ applications. I was pretty much willing to go anywhere at first, so it didn't matter to me until later on. I politely declined and stated I already accepted (after I did) or that my plans changed. Never seemed like a big deal; it's part of the process.

Additionally, I'm not sure it's necessary to officially withdraw from everyone. After I accepted an offer, I had too many outstanding applications to do that. If a judge showed any interest or contact (i.e. email or letter), I would definitely let them know. Otherwise, I wouldn't even know how to contact them unless I sent snail mail (which seems unnecessary). Plus, most interview requests were always prefaced with "Are you still available?" or "Are you still interested in clerking for XX?".

olive16

Bronze

Post by olive16 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Totally fine to decline an interview. In fact, if you don't want the job you should definitely decline.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”