Insanely stupid question: How do I apply, exactly?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Insanely stupid question: How do I apply, exactly?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:07 pm

I'm kinda frustrated that I feel like I don't know the answer to this question after talking to career services a bunch, but for non-OSCAR judges, do I just mail out my applications even if no information is listed on OSCAR? Or do I have to call chambers to ask if they're accepting applications? If so, even if it says "do not contact chambers?" I guess I'm wondering, is there any downside if I just drop a bunch of apps willy nilly in the mail?

Thanks for answering this question. Feel free to say something rude in your response; I know this is dumb.

ph14

Re: Insanely stupid question: How do I apply, exactly?

Postby ph14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm kinda frustrated that I feel like I don't know the answer to this question after talking to career services a bunch, but for non-OSCAR judges, do I just mail out my applications even if no information is listed on OSCAR? Or do I have to call chambers to ask if they're accepting applications? If so, even if it says "do not contact chambers?" I guess I'm wondering, is there any downside if I just drop a bunch of apps willy nilly in the mail?

Thanks for answering this question. Feel free to say something rude in your response; I know this is dumb.

Step 1: Locate judge's mailing address. Failing that, locate the judge's courthouse.
Step 2: Gather hard copies of: (a) cover letter (and if you are not mailing recommendations yourself, identify your recommenders and note that the judge will be receiving a letter of recommendation from them addressed under separate cover), (b) letters of recommendation (if you are mailing them in yourself); (c) resume (1 page max); (d) transcript (unofficial is fine); (e) writing sample (1 relatively short writing sample; some judges prefer scholarly pieces).
Step 3: Drop applications in the mail willy nilly (this last part is crucial). Do so even if no information is listed on OSCAR, no need to call to ask if they're accepting. Not sure what to do with regards do not contact chambers applications, but the worst thing that is going to happen is they toss the application in the trash.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:25 pm

^ exactly this. I blanketed all the district court judges in my LS's circuit. I got any number of "not hiring" responses, at least one "reapply when we post on OSCAR" response, and a lot of no response, but that's just what you have to expect. It's not going to offend anyone or make you look bad. You can usually call to find out if they're taking applications (I think even if an OSCAR posting says "do not call" you can do this, because in most cases you won't need to give your name to ask if/when they're taking apps, though it's a bit of a judgment call), but I'd only do that if you're trying to save money by limiting your apps (which is understandable), not because you shouldn't send them something if they're not hiring.

(I know it feels like a dumb question but honestly it's a totally reasonable one. Your CSO should be able to help with this stuff but I know that doesn't always happen, especially now the plan is truly dead.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks, guys; really appreciate the info

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Another stupid question here. On OSCAR do I apply only to judges who have "available" status. What about the ones who have "expired" status. I find the OSCAR system completely infuriating...

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:34 pm

I don't think you can apply to the expired ones?

But I just mailed everything because I hate OSCAR, so I'm probably not a good person to ask.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”