Dist clerkship as alum in state I don't want to work in?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Dist clerkship as alum in state I don't want to work in?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm

I tried to find a thread like this but couldn't. I'll be starting at a V10 firm in NYC this fall, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to take a district clerkship my second year out of law school in a state I prooobably don't want to practice in. The state is where I grew up but I would like to go elsewhere after leaving NYC, and would probably also like to come back to NYC to work for a couple years after the clerkship.

At this point I would like to be working at a firm for the foreseeable future...for a few years in NYC, then in another location I haven't decided on. So does it make sense to take a hiatus from NYC for a year to go to my home state (in the northeast) for a district clerkship if I don't want to practice there, only to then come back to NYC? I'm somewhat competitive for SDNY/EDNY but no bites so far from those.

EDIT: Clerkship would be in one of DE, NJ, MA, CT, MD if that makes a difference.

Anonymous User

Re: Dist clerkship as alum in state I don't want to work in?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:00 am

Anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Is your firm supportive of the decision to work for a year, then clerk? Is there anyone you could speak with there/in your career office about it? Would you be returning to that V10 firm after you clerked? You sound fairly confident that you could get this clerkship in your home state -- do you have a connection there to the point where you're *positive* you'll get it? If so, could you talk to some former/current clerks of the judge you're thinking of re: their paths?

The general consensus is "a district court clerkship anywhere is prestigious and good for you in the long run," and if you have a job there both before and after, I can't see how a brief hiatus from NYC hurts you. In my experience interviewing thus far, almost every chambers had a clerk who lived or worked in NYC for some time, no matter where in the country I was, and at least one expressly told me he was heading back there. Furthermore, the courts you're describing are all fiercely competitive for clerkships ("Amtrak corridor") and by no means "flyover," so if you get a spot it's not like you're going to be stuck in E.D. Ark. applying to Boies Schiller on a wing and a prayer.

tl;dr: a district court clerkship in a competitive district doesn't look like it's going to hurt your chances to do what you want to do, and will likely be a great benefit. But things may depend on whether you're going back to the V10 you're starting with or looking to move on after just a year there by using your clerkship as an exit strategy.

p.s.: a large number of the S.D.N.Y. judges (and a lesser but still significant number of the E.D.N.Y. judges) have already hired '15-'16 applicants, and so people like you who are "competitive" but didn't get any bites are already fanning out across the states you mentioned for second chances. The NYC benches are finally full (thanks, Obama?) and so your chances of snagging a position from a new judge are much smaller than they were when there were four open seats in the Southern District. If you don't really have that home-state clerkship in the bag, get your apps out as soon as possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is your firm supportive of the decision to work for a year, then clerk? Is there anyone you could speak with there/in your career office about it? Would you be returning to that V10 firm after you clerked? You sound fairly confident that you could get this clerkship in your home state -- do you have a connection there to the point where you're *positive* you'll get it? If so, could you talk to some former/current clerks of the judge you're thinking of re: their paths?

The general consensus is "a district court clerkship anywhere is prestigious and good for you in the long run," and if you have a job there both before and after, I can't see how a brief hiatus from NYC hurts you. In my experience interviewing thus far, almost every chambers had a clerk who lived or worked in NYC for some time, no matter where in the country I was, and at least one expressly told me he was heading back there. Furthermore, the courts you're describing are all fiercely competitive for clerkships ("Amtrak corridor") and by no means "flyover," so if you get a spot it's not like you're going to be stuck in E.D. Ark. applying to Boies Schiller on a wing and a prayer.

tl;dr: a district court clerkship in a competitive district doesn't look like it's going to hurt your chances to do what you want to do, and will likely be a great benefit. But things may depend on whether you're going back to the V10 you're starting with or looking to move on after just a year there by using your clerkship as an exit strategy.

p.s.: a large number of the S.D.N.Y. judges (and a lesser but still significant number of the E.D.N.Y. judges) have already hired '15-'16 applicants, and so people like you who are "competitive" but didn't get any bites are already fanning out across the states you mentioned for second chances. The NYC benches are finally full (thanks, Obama?) and so your chances of snagging a position from a new judge are much smaller than they were when there were four open seats in the Southern District. If you don't really have that home-state clerkship in the bag, get your apps out as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for the response.

I didn't mean to come off as super confident that I will get the clerkship, I just don't want to go to the interview (which is coming up) if I am not prepared to say yes right away. Unfortunately, my firm is not super supportive of people leaving after a year to clerk, so talking to anyone there is a little tough, and I can't talk to former clerks because I don't have anything secured yet and don't want to be already planning my exit out of state.

I would like to return to my starting firm post-clerkship for at least a couple years, and it's tough to get a gauge on how doable that would be, I guess.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”