recommendations question Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

recommendations question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:33 pm

I have great grades at HLS (if i graduated today, it would be put in magna territory) but of my 3 recommendations, 2 are going to be pretty boilerplate. how fatal will this be?

also: 2L; secondary journal.

jd20132013

Silver

Re: recommendations question

Post by jd20132013 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:26 pm

I never understand these questions. We can't quantify how fatal it will be. Can you get a "less boilerplate" recommendation now? If not, the amount it will hurt you won't matter, and surely that amount will vary from individual judge to individual judge. All you can do is try to counterbalance it as much as you can, whether that's by having recommenders make more calls, contacting alumni who clerked for your target judges, or something else.

Anonymous User

Re: recommendations question

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:47 pm

There is a judge out there who will hire you based on your grades alone.

Source: clerk. I know of a judge on my court who will glance at an applicant's grades and if he/she is magna from a top school, she will ask to interview the applicant and, if he/she is normal, will hire on the spot. 2 of my friends who clerked for her (coif at YLS and Penn) said their interviews lasted 5 minutes, as did their replacements' interviews. I don't think this experience is uncommon.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”