Flyover Clerkship as Alum

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Flyover Clerkship as Alum

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:52 am

I'm a 2013 grad with a solid resume (HLS, probably competitive even if I applied without w/e but who knows), but I fear the clerkship game is such that I'll be shut out of popular markets. Will post-clerkship employers think its odd if I leave in 2015 do a D.Maine clerkship, for example, or is it accepted that it's still worth it? I mostly just want out of biglaw, but don't want it to be obvious that I hated my job so much that I was willing to move to BFE to escape. Oh, and I'd be hoping to move to SF or LA once I finished (NYC now).

ClerkAdvisor

Re: Flyover Clerkship as Alum

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2013 grad with a solid resume (HLS, probably competitive even if I applied without w/e but who knows), but I fear the clerkship game is such that I'll be shut out of popular markets. Will post-clerkship employers think its odd if I leave in 2015 do a D.Maine clerkship, for example, or is it accepted that it's still worth it? I mostly just want out of biglaw, but don't want it to be obvious that I hated my job so much that I was willing to move to BFE to escape. Oh, and I'd be hoping to move to SF or LA once I finished (NYC now).

If you want to go west post-clerkship, you should go west for you clerkship (if possible). Ideally you would clerk in CD Cal or ND Cal if you want to go to those respective markets. Otherwise, you should focus on applying to ED Cal, SD Cal, and everywhere else on the west coast. In your situation, clerking makes for a good transition from East coast to West coast.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 pm

I agree, and will do my best to make it back (home) to CA to clerk. But what happens if I can't? I do genuinely want to clerk (in addition to needing to GFTO out of NYC biglaw), but don't want to end up stranded and less employable after a flyover district court clerkship.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:21 pm

I think if you had biglaw qualifications to begin with (which obviously you did), you're unlikely to be left stranded if you do clerk - my sense is that people who struggle most to get a job after clerking are those who struck out getting biglaw before clerking (and of course that's not universal). However, what do you want to do after clerking? It sounds like "not biglaw," which makes perfect sense to me, but makes it harder to plan for the negative.

Anecdotally, I think people with good stats can move around - I clerked in semi-BFE (capitol city in a fairly BFE state), and clerks went from there to DC, NYC, Chicago, and CA. (And I went out of state as well, though admittedly only to the state next door. The other clerks had better pedigrees than I do, though.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think if you had biglaw qualifications to begin with (which obviously you did), you're unlikely to be left stranded if you do clerk - my sense is that people who struggle most to get a job after clerking are those who struck out getting biglaw before clerking (and of course that's not universal). However, what do you want to do after clerking? It sounds like "not biglaw," which makes perfect sense to me, but makes it harder to plan for the negative.

Anecdotally, I think people with good stats can move around - I clerked in semi-BFE (capitol city in a fairly BFE state), and clerks went from there to DC, NYC, Chicago, and CA. (And I went out of state as well, though admittedly only to the state next door. The other clerks had better pedigrees than I do, though.)

Ideally indigent criminal defense. If I did state-level, there would be the added problem of taking the CA bar first. The federal level is obviously incredibly competitive so who knows how that would work out. So, I don't want to go back to biglaw, but I've accepted that I may have to in order to better scope out public service opportunities in CA and build some connections there.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Yeah, it sounds like you may need to go back to a firm for a while (though I don't know much about how going into indigent criminal defense coming off biglaw + clerkship works). In any case, I think you should have a decent shot at doing that. As for FPD, I know people who've worked in criminal defense firms and then lateraled into FPD, though I suspect anything that gave you courtroom experience would help. My other question is: do you speak Spanish?

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Yeah, but I'd probably want to take another class or two to refresh (since I'm out of practice) before declaring my fluency on a resume.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”