Weird End date, job search, and transactional interest

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
arodtoo

Weird End date, job search, and transactional interest

Postby arodtoo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:09 am

I have a few questions about pursuing a firm job after a clerkship.

(1) I am in a clerkship that runs through the end of December. I understand that most firms prefer their clerks to start earlier. Should I still apply at the regular time? And when is that? How much of a disadvantage does this put me at?

(2) I am really interested in doing transactional work and my resume speaks to that. Is it hard to get into transactional work from a clerkship?

(3) I passed the bar in one state, however, I am open to working in a couple of different markets. Are firms amenable to taking someone on after a clerkship who will need to take the bar?

ClerkAdvisor

Re: Weird End date, job search, and transactional interest

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:41 pm

(1) No real disadvantage -- you would only be starting a couple months later than your peers. You should still be applying in the late winter / early spring.

(2) It really depends on the firm -- just be prepared to answer the question why did you clerk.

(3) Yes, but arranging to take the bar before you start is a good way to show commitment to a market.

Anonymous User

Re: Weird End date, job search, and transactional interest

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:00 pm

FWIW, I'm also ending in December 2014 and have been sending out applications the last week or so.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”