Do Not Contact Chambers

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
arkhamhorror

Do Not Contact Chambers

Postby arkhamhorror » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:16 am

Hi all. I'm a current two-year district court clerk applying for CoA for 2015-2016. I sent paper applications out in November to the judges I was interested in when the hiring plan went belly up. Yesterday, the judge I'm most interested in officially posted three positions on OSCAR.

I want to see if my application is still in play or if they trashed it because it was sent in too early. Their OSCAR profile says Do Not Contact Chambers like everyone else's. Ours does too, but myself and the other clerks and CRD don't really care if we get calls at all.

Would it be a death sentence to call? Would it be smarter to e-mail their CRD directly through LotusNotes?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Do Not Contact Chambers

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:47 pm

D. ct. clerk here.

My judge also says do not contact chambers. I would not care if I got a call (she certainly would, of course), but I know that an overly anal former clerk here would have been apoplectic.

Why don't you just reapply? My guess is your application didn't just fall through the cracks or something.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:D. ct. clerk here.

My judge also says do not contact chambers. I would not care if I got a call (she certainly would, of course), but I know that an overly anal former clerk here would have been apoplectic.

Why don't you just reapply? My guess is your application didn't just fall through the cracks or something.

This bugs the living day lights out of me. I know clerks like the bolded above. It just makes no sense to me. We've all been there before.

And as annoying as it is, it's right. You always run the risk of ticking off some clerk. The good news is, I think most of us don't really care. And even if you hit one that does, they may not have input on hiring.

arkhamhorror

Postby arkhamhorror » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks all. I think I'll just resend to be safe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:29 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:D. ct. clerk here.

This bugs the living day lights out of me. I know clerks like the bolded above. It just makes no sense to me. We've all been there before.

And as annoying as it is, it's right. You always run the risk of ticking off some clerk. The good news is, I think most of us don't really care. And even if you hit one that does, they may not have input on hiring.

Drives me nuts, too. That overly anal clerk eats lunch by himself every day at his desk for a reason.

But yes, he is the exception to the rule. Most clerks wouldn't mind. Hell, I'd be excited to talk to a prospective applicant.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”