Alumni Interview Question

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Alumni Interview Question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:10 pm

If Judges ask why I chose to work between school and clerking, is it acceptable to tell them the truth?

-I have debt, and wanted to make a large dent in it before considering lower-paying jobs.
-I'm not in private practice for the long-haul, and saw clerking as a natural transition back to the public sector. The best option appeared to be to do biglaw for 2 years, pay off as much debt as I can, and then try to go work for the gov after clerking.

Citizen Genet

Re: Alumni Interview Question

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If Judges ask why I chose to work between school and clerking, is it acceptable to tell them the truth?

-I have debt, and wanted to make a large dent in it before considering lower-paying jobs.
-I'm not in private practice for the long-haul, and saw clerking as a natural transition back to the public sector. The best option appeared to be to do biglaw for 2 years, pay off as much debt as I can, and then try to go work for the gov after clerking.

Those are phenomenal answers. That they're the truth is an added bonus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:48 pm

It wouldn't be considered gauche to indicate that my career path has been primarily driven by financial considerations?

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:It wouldn't be considered gauche to indicate that my career path has been primarily driven by financial considerations?

Nope. Judges understand. Don't make it seem gaudy. Focus on inability to get by without having paid down some debt.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:If Judges ask why I chose to work between school and clerking, is it acceptable to tell them the truth?

I think these are great answers as well. Judges are extremely sensitive to/able to detect bullshit. Thats what they do all day in the courtroom. Also many judges come from biglaw or otherwise lucrative law practices and they get that you take pay cut to come clerk. Your reasons for working for a bit a perfectly reasonable and the judge will appreciate your candidness and honesty. Some judge all but require work experience anyway.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”