Realistic Assessment of Federal District Court Chances

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kykiske

Realistic Assessment of Federal District Court Chances

Postby kykiske » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:22 pm

I am applying for district court clerkships; here are my credentials:

T20
Top 1/3ish
URM
Secondary Journal
Decent legal experience working with firms as SA/Law Clerk
A faculty evaluated writing sample (nothing but great things to say)
Great LORs from professors

I've heard a range of opinions. From "you should not even bother applying" to "apply broadly and you may have a chance."

I'm going to definitely apply broadly, but I just do not even know how to gauge expectations.

Anonymous User

Re: Realistic Assessment of Federal District Court Chances

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:27 pm

kykiske wrote:I am applying for district court clerkships; here are my credentials:

T20
Top 1/3ish
URM
Secondary Journal
Decent legal experience working with firms as SA/Law Clerk
A faculty evaluated writing sample (nothing but great things to say)
Great LORs from professors

I've heard a range of opinions. From "you should not even bother applying" to "apply broadly and you may have a chance."

I'm going to definitely apply broadly, but I just do not even know how to gauge expectations.

Whats the difference between "you should not even bother applying" and "apply broadly and you may have a chance"?

Maybe the former is 1% chance and the latter is 4%? If so, then you have a 1-4% chance. To me, they seem like the same answers.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:48 pm

Yeah, I frankly did not see much of a difference either.

That's why I was hoping to get some advice on this forum.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:46 pm

There is a foundation called just the begining foundation or something like that that tries to increase diversity by actively recruting URMs and matching them with member judges (District court mostly). You should look into that. However, based on the numbers you posted, it might be super hard for you to land this because from what I heard out of thousands of applicants they pick 12 people and 6 are granted offer (somewhere along those lines). I knew someone who got into the final 12 and wasnt selected as the final 6 and this person was Top5% at top 20 school, law review and all that stuff. So its a long shot but you might give it a try as it will expose you to judges who want to look at a person's diverse experience and not just grades.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”