Transition questions from clerkship to big law

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Torvon

Transition questions from clerkship to big law

Postby Torvon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:44 pm

I know specifics will vary from firm to firm but general answers are appreciated. I'm heading back to the firm where I spent my 2L summer. I'll ask them specifics, but was hoping to get some general input first so I don't sound stupid.

1) When is a good time to reach out to the firm, or will they contact me?

2) When do clerks usually start at firms?

3) Do firms usually offer some kind of stipend or salary advance to cover the time between jobs?

4) When do firms usually pay out clerkship bonuses? (First paycheck?)

5) How common is paying for relocation expenses?

Anonymous User

Re: Transition questions from clerkship to big law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:48 pm

How big is the firm you're heading to?

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34 am

V10

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:04 am

Torvon wrote:1) When is a good time to reach out to the firm, or will they contact me?

2) When do clerks usually start at firms?

3) Do firms usually offer some kind of stipend or salary advance to cover the time between jobs?

4) When do firms usually pay out clerkship bonuses? (First paycheck?)

5) How common is paying for relocation expenses?

1. For a fall start date, I believe most hiring happens in the spring. Since most V10 firms probably won't require you to formally interview again, reaching out far in advance is not necessary. I reached out to my firm about four months before my clerkship ended.

2. This is entirely up to the clerk. While it's common for clerks to start in the fall right after their clerkships end -- assuming a typical fall-to-fall clerkship -- it really makes no difference to the firm when you start. Definitely take some time off before going back. I only took three weeks because I didn't want to go too long without a paycheck, but I'm sure you could get away with a lot longer.

3. No idea, but I've heard firms will give you a salary advance if you ask for one. I didn't. But it's probably no problem. After all, many firms offer salary advances for the summer while you're studying for the bar. No reason they couldn't do so for the period after the clerkship and before you start at the firm.

4. Probably not the first paycheck. When I was a first year, I remember a second year seated nearby didn't get her clerkship bonus for a couple of pay cycles.

5. Again, no idea. Probably varies based on the firm and whether you're traveling more than a certain distance.

law.school.2014

Postby law.school.2014 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Hello, I have a similar question - do you know if firms generally pay both a summer bar stipend and a clerkship bonus to returning summer associates?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”