Value of Second (COA) Clerkship

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Value of Second (COA) Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi all. I'm a 3L at Vandy/UT and have accepted a two year USDC clerkship in a southern market where I'd like to work after spending a few years in NYC (where I worked this past summer--I'm going back to that firm post-clerkship).

Is there any added value in pursuing a COA clerkship either immediately after my 2 year USDC clerkship ends or after working at my NYC firm for a few years but before going to the southern market I eventually plan on ending up in? Because of significant other constraints, I'd probably only look at COA clerkships in the 5th/11th circuits.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Value of Second (COA) Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:16 pm

My situation was similar to yours. For me, the answer was yes. The second clerkship (COA) helped me get back into the Southern market where I wanted to be.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Value of Second (COA) Clerkship

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:49 pm

I think doing a COA clerkship on top of a DC clerkship never hurts anyone - or, really, any second clerkship at a different level court than the first. The only issue I can see in your case is that if you do the COA clerkship directly after the DC one, there might be some concern about how much credit you can/want to claim for the clerkships (i.e. whether you'd come in as a 4th year).

Given your geographic interests, I'd suggest working at the NYC firm for a few years, then doing a COA clerkship in the southeast (assuming no problems getting one), and use the year of the COA clerkship to network/find a job in that non-NYC market. But that's just a suggestion.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”