Typo in Writing Sample (retract application and resubmit?)

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Typo in Writing Sample (retract application and resubmit?)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:19 pm

All,

Yes, the smallest typo in the world (a noticeable extra space between two words).

Are judges to whom I already sent an application notified of a retracted application? If so, does the OSCAR notification closely indicate what was changed/done?

Should I retract and resubmit OR just take my chances?

Thanks again.

ZyzzBrah

Re: Typo in Writing Sample (retract application and resubmit?)

Postby ZyzzBrah » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:42 pm

an extra space? obviously retract, that's an insta-ding

(someone should probably close this thread)

apparentlynew

Postby apparentlynew » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Needs more information. Which judge is getting this? Does s/he have a reputation for scrutinizing the writing sample hard, or not reading the sample at all? Are you a strong or weak candidate? Where is the typo, early in the document or late in the document or somewhere in between? Are there other typos in the document?

My advice without knowing any of these tidbits is to do nothing. I think the odds of someone catching it are low, especially if the typo is later in the sample. And I think most judges are looking for a reason to disqualify people (it makes choosing easier to have clear rules like this) so your honesty will probably not be rewarded, because there's someone else out there as good as you who didn't have a typo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 am

I see. Towards the end.

I don't know if the judges have a reputation for scrutinizing writing samples. If I were a judge, I would scrutinize it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:13 am

When retracting the application and resubmitting, is it like a new application? Does it actually tell the judge that the writing sample was changed/swapped?

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:04 am

Unless OSCAR has changed this, you can't resubmit your application after it's been retracted.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”