Circuit Clerkship Question...

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Circuit Clerkship Question...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 am

Hi all - I have a district court clerkship lined up for 2014-2015, am currently in the top ten percent, and have some good credentials associated with moot court / appellate clinic. That said, I am not on LR. What are my chances for a circuit clerkship in 2015-2016? The clerkship person at my school said I am competitive for everyone but feeders, but I feel like I need to take that with a grain of salt. Any input / advice? Thanks in advance.

arklaw13

Re: Circuit Clerkship Question...

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all - I have a district court clerkship lined up for 2014-2015, am currently in the top ten percent, and have some good credentials associated with moot court / appellate clinic. That said, I am not on LR. What are my chances for a circuit clerkship in 2015-2016? The clerkship person at my school said I am competitive for everyone but feeders, but I feel like I need to take that with a grain of salt. Any input / advice? Thanks in advance.

Top 10% at what range of schools?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:49 am

What school (range) do you go to? I know many people who got circuit clerkships (including feeder clerkships) without LR. It will come down to the judge - some require LR, others don't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 am

Sorry - MVP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:17 pm

I think if you apply broadly (especially in the circuit where you'll be clerking next year), you would have a good chance. It could go either way. But I think the top 10% plus district court clerkship is a nice set of credentials. As mentioned above, some judges require LR for whatever reason, but others don't. In the end, you only need one. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 pm

I clerked for a feeder judge. LR was looked favorably on, but certainly not required.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Current COA clerk in crappy city here - law review is preferred but certainly not required.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all - I have a district court clerkship lined up for 2014-2015, am currently in the top ten percent, and have some good credentials associated with moot court / appellate clinic. That said, I am not on LR. What are my chances for a circuit clerkship in 2015-2016? The clerkship person at my school said I am competitive for everyone but feeders, but I feel like I need to take that with a grain of salt. Any input / advice? Thanks in advance.

Your clerkship adviser gave you the best general placement prediction possible, but this hiring game is incredibly idiosyncratic. Placing an enthusiastic call from a professor to chambers at just the right time, having a recommender hook you up, or applying to an alum from your school could change the calculus. Maybe a feeder will have some weird connection to a line on your resume and call you in for an interview just for kicks - you never know! I'd apply broadly (if you're not geographically constrained for some reason), and I'd say you've got a decent shot at non-feeders.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”