Best Clerkship for Interests or Most Prestigious?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Which is more important for clerkship

prestige
43%
area of interest
57%

Total votes: 14

Anonymous User

Best Clerkship for Interests or Most Prestigious?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm interested in T&E work or corporate work. I'm therefore trying to figure out if, for my career interests, it would be better to clerk at whatever the most prestigious option is or a court more targeted at that work (state probate/family courts or DE Court of Chancery)?

From speaking with a current T&E attorney and my professor, it seems that one of the only ways to get hired for T&E other than going somewhere for something else and lateraling is clerking in probate/family court. However, I'm not sure if this closes the door on corporate work or whether this clerkship is even worth it. I think the worst part is that these kinds of clerkships hire at different times (2L versus 3L), so I can't just apply widely and see what happens.

UnderrateOverachieve

Re: Best Clerkship for Interests or Most Prestigious?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:13 am

How serious are you about the area of interest?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:56 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:How serious are you about the area of interest?

I'm very serious. I'd love to work in T&E. However, my concern is closing out the possibility of working elsewhere if I don't find a T&E position. I enjoy other areas of law, but I'd really prefer T&E. Some of the other areas that have more hiring that I'm also interested are related, which probably makes this better (but I'm not sure) - like banking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:49 pm

OP here - thanks for the responses so far! It's close to a split (3 to 4), but it's still helpful - at least I know that I'm not considering an option that is overwhelmingly thought of as a bad choice! :) I'll keep checking for more responses!

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”