ICJ Clerkship

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

ICJ Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi!

Does anyone have any experience with ICJ clerkships / applications?

Are there particular classes you must have taken (evidence, etc.)?

Is there any kind of work experience that ICJ judges particularly value?

(Note: I go to a school that makes nominations. Just looking to hear from people with previous experience & advice.)

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: ICJ Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 28, 2014 9:28 am

I've heard that typically ICJ clerks possess at least 3-4 years of prior experience with international law from firm work or other legal organization

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 8:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard that typically ICJ clerks possess at least 3-4 years of prior experience with international law from firm work or other legal organization

I don't think this is true. I know 3 people personally who came right out of law school to clerk at the ICJ. I think its more about networking / connections / who you know. I would highly recommending connecting with anyone who is a former ICJ clerk who you may know or have some connection with.

What do you mean though that your school "makes nominations"? GW and UMich have both had programs with the ICJ that guarantee a spot goes to one of their graduates. If your school has a program like that then it just means you have a much better chance than most people.

As far as classes, I think they look for a focus on / experience with international law. Everyone I know that has clerked there is either an international LLM or had an exceptional international law background. Doing Jessup (and doing well) is definitely a big plus / something I think they look for. I would say taking international law is a requirement, and you should probably have multiple international law related courses on your transcript.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Do they pay their clerks or do you have to find funding?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”