Question for Former and Current Law Clerks

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
patriot888

Question for Former and Current Law Clerks

Postby patriot888 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:53 pm

All,

Question for former or current law clerks.

I am barely below the top 25%. I am likely top 27%.

With the large number of clerkship applications, how do judges filter through applications? Do judges ask their law clerks to simply pull the top 25%? Or do the law clerks look at other parts of the resume (work experience, pre-law work experience, publications, etc.) to make the determination?

I need to figure out whether I should send mass applications this semester OR wait until the summer so that I can hopefully be above the "top 25% mark."

I am seeking a bankruptcy clerkship in big cities (Chapter 11 markets).

Thank you for the input.

legalese_retard

Re: Question for Former and Current Law Clerks

Postby legalese_retard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:52 pm

patriot888 wrote:All,

Question for former or current law clerks.

I am barely below the top 25%. I am likely top 27%.

With the large number of clerkship applications, how do judges filter through applications? Do judges ask their law clerks to simply pull the top 25%? Or do the law clerks look at other parts of the resume (work experience, pre-law work experience, publications, etc.) to make the determination?

I need to figure out whether I should send mass applications this semester OR wait until the summer so that I can hopefully be above the "top 25% mark."

I am seeking a bankruptcy clerkship in big cities (Chapter 11 markets).

Thank you for the input.

Depends on the judge or law clerk reviewing the applications. Some judges have hard rules on grades and will filter applications based on just grades, especially if they have hundreds of applications to go through. I think most judges will look at your application even if you are outside the top 25% level. If you are applying to bankruptcy clerkships, I am sure the judges will give more ranking leeway for decent bankruptcy experience and interest.

patriot888

Postby patriot888 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:28 pm

I see.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:47 am

Yo I'm a current BK clerk and will be clerking in a heavy chapter 11 district next year (I think I've posted in your previous BK clerkship threads). Honestly with those grades you will probably have a tough go at it with the more competitive BK judges (assuming not HYS or something). But the good news BK judges will give you a little leeway on grades if you have a demonstrated interest in bankruptcy (experience etc.).

I guess my point is that your grades aren't so low as to be an auto reject if you have some good BK-related stuff on your resume but also aren't so high as to get you the job. So it's probably not worth waiting until the summer because by then you will probably have missed the boat on a lot of the competitive BK judges (they will have hired--hiring is getting earlier and earlier). If I were you I would tailor my resume to really accentuate your BK creds and get your apps out early this spring. Moving into to top 25% won't help enough to justify waiting in my opinion.

patriot888

Postby patriot888 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:43 pm

emciosn wrote:Yo I'm a current BK clerk and will be clerking in a heavy chapter 11 district next year (I think I've posted in your previous BK clerkship threads). Honestly with those grades you will probably have a tough go at it with the more competitive BK judges (assuming not HYS or something). But the good news BK judges will give you a little leeway on grades if you have a demonstrated interest in bankruptcy (experience etc.).

I guess my point is that your grades aren't so low as to be an auto reject if you have some good BK-related stuff on your resume but also aren't so high as to get you the job. So it's probably not worth waiting until the summer because by then you will probably have missed the boat on a lot of the competitive BK judges (they will have hired--hiring is getting earlier and earlier). If I were you I would tailor my resume to really accentuate your BK creds and get your apps out early this spring. Moving into to top 25% won't help enough to justify waiting in my opinion.

Thanks.

Maybe I should put my bankruptcy-related experience towards the top of my resume....keeping my GPA and class rank towards the end of the resume..?

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”