Do firms pay clerkship bonuses to alumni clerks? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Do firms pay clerkship bonuses to alumni clerks?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:15 pm

I've heard of some firms only paying clerkship bonuses to people who clerk right out of law school. Is this the case at most biglaw firms? All? Some? Only a few?

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Re: Do firms pay clerkship bonuses to alumni clerks?

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard of some firms only paying clerkship bonuses to people who clerk right out of law school. Is this the case at most biglaw firms? All? Some? Only a few?
Check NALP.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard of some firms only paying clerkship bonuses to people who clerk right out of law school. Is this the case at most biglaw firms? All? Some? Only a few?
Are you asking about clerkship bonuses for a law clerk that was an associate before the clerkship? In that situation, I don't think you would qualify for a "clerkship" bonus, but it probably depends on the firm. From what I can tell, you might not get a "clerkship" bonus but you might get a "signing" bonus that takes your clerkship experience into consideration.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:15 am

legalese_retard wrote:Are you asking about clerkship bonuses for a law clerk that was an associate before the clerkship? In that situation, I don't think you would qualify for a "clerkship" bonus, but it probably depends on the firm. From what I can tell, you might not get a "clerkship" bonus but you might get a "signing" bonus that takes your clerkship experience into consideration.
Do you have any basis for that assumption? Because generally firms award clerkship bonuses to make up for the pay cut/reward associates for developing valuable experience; I'd be surprised if any significant number of them told associates they didn't qualify for the 50k just because they'd worked a year or two prior. I know several alum clerks who did receive bonuses.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:19 am

bruinfan10 wrote:
legalese_retard wrote:Are you asking about clerkship bonuses for a law clerk that was an associate before the clerkship? In that situation, I don't think you would qualify for a "clerkship" bonus, but it probably depends on the firm. From what I can tell, you might not get a "clerkship" bonus but you might get a "signing" bonus that takes your clerkship experience into consideration.
Do you have any basis for that assumption? Because generally firms award clerkship bonuses to make up for the pay cut/reward associates for developing valuable experience; I'd be surprised if any significant number of them told associates they didn't qualify for the 50k just because they'd worked a year or two prior. I know several alum clerks who did receive bonuses.
All the stuff I read from firms just said, "had prior experience as a clerk for a judge." No mention of time.

But now that I think of it they only showed it for years 1-3. Check S&C's webpage. They had it on there last I checked.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:45 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
Spoke to an alum clerk that said he was considered a "lateral" hire even though he came directly from a clerkship. As a lateral, he did not qualify for the clerkship bonus.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:58 pm

legalese_retard wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
Spoke to an alum clerk that said he was considered a "lateral" hire even though he came directly from a clerkship. As a lateral, he did not qualify for the clerkship bonus.
Ouch, that's a real bummer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:19 pm

I know at least one V10 whose policy is to pay the clerkship bonus if you work for them, leave to clerk, and then come back to work for them. I'm not sure if they do it for people who didn't work there before they clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Obviously you need to check with your firm, but all of my co-clerks who have returned to their firms have gotten the clerkship bonus (even if they were not returning to litigation).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”