Class Rank for Transfers re: Clerkship application

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Class Rank for Transfers re: Clerkship application

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:24 am

Tried search function but couldnt find answer.

New school does not rank until end of the year and clerkship hiring plan is dead, so how do transfers deal with class rank when you get your new school's GPA (3rd semester)? Using old school's class rank with new school's GPA seems odd. Perhaps give an estimated class rank in cover letter and state it "estimated"? What about filling out OSCAR's info page for "searchable" purpose, do you go with old class rank or with new "estimated" class rank?

Current/Former Clerks can help shed some light to this, what do you see on applications coming in your chambers from transfers?

timmyd

Re: Class Rank for Transfers re: Clerkship application

Postby timmyd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:11 pm

I am also curious as to how transfers are looked at in general during the clerkship application process. Not talking about Fed COA obviously but Fed Dist. and state courts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 pm

I am a class of 2013 transfer currently doing a D. Ct. clerkship. You are kind of treading in new territory though, being that this is the first year the plan is completely dead. The experience of prior transfers probably won't be as relevant for that reason, and I would guess that it might make things more difficult for transfers. As someone who is currently looking at applications from the other side, my own opinion would be not to estimate a class rank on your resume or cover letter. To me, it seems tacky. If you are applying to a chambers that regularly gets applications from your school, they can easily see how your grades stack up compared to other applicants from your school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:13 am

I can't speak to being a transfer. But at my law school, where ranks weren't given until graduation, if you told the school you were gunning for clerkships they'd go in and input your rank for you. So technically you didn't know what it was, but you'd have the OSCAR percentages. If I were you, I'd go ask career services/your clerkship advisor.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”