Any bites from big firms for post-clerkship new associates?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Any bites from big firms for post-clerkship new associates?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Interested to hear if any large firms are actively interviewing post-clerkship job applicants. I sent out several resumes last week and haven't heard anything. Hoping I didn't wait too long.

legalese_retard

Re: Any bites from big firms for post-clerkship new associates?

Postby legalese_retard » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 pm

I think the ship for post-clerkship jobs in big law firms has sailed. At this point, it is going to come down to luck, timing and connections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:14 pm

legalese_retard wrote:I think the ship for post-clerkship jobs in big law firms has sailed. At this point, it is going to come down to luck, timing and connections.

Do you mean "the ship has sailed" because big law firms have already done their hiring this year, or do you mean "the ship has sailed" because, in general, big law firms do not usually hire clerks anymore?

For what it's worth, I know (based on a connection) that at least one big firm in D.C. is looking to hire clerks and didn't begin reviewing applications until this month. I applied last week and haven't heard anything yet.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
legalese_retard wrote:I think the ship for post-clerkship jobs in big law firms has sailed. At this point, it is going to come down to luck, timing and connections.

Do you mean "the ship has sailed" because big law firms have already done their hiring this year, or do you mean "the ship has sailed" because, in general, big law firms do not usually hire clerks anymore?

For what it's worth, I know (based on a connection) that at least one big firm in D.C. is looking to hire clerks and didn't begin reviewing applications until this month. I applied last week and haven't heard anything yet.

I mean for this year. Law clerks are basically applying for the same positions as 3Ls. From what I've seen, most firms that are hiring 3Ls have already filled those spots. I'm sure there are some big firms that have additional openings exclusively for law clerks, especially in markets like NYC and DC, but those are few and far between. Maybe others will have better luck. But all I have been receiving are rejections saying "We do not have a position available for someone at your experience level."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:54 pm

I can't speak to this year specifically (my clerkship is two years, so I have more time), but my predecessor kept a spreadsheet of his applications. Most of his applications went out in April of his second year (2013), and he got biglaw. No idea how representative this is, but I also can't think of a reason it wouldn't be.

ClerkAdvisor

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:52 am

This is flat out wrong. For the most part, big law clerk hiring hasn't even started yet -- generally, big law firms start looking at clerks in February-April. Every clerk I know who changed/pick up a big law job did so in the Spring of their clerkship year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:23 am

Warning: What follows is totally anecdotal.

I know my V5 recruited clerks in December, and unless it's a particularly good candidate (e.g. HYS + COA) the door is probably closed for us. Also, my friend who is at a selective D.Ct. interviewed and accepted at a top firm in December.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:37 am

ClerkAdvisor wrote:

This is flat out wrong. For the most part, big law clerk hiring hasn't even started yet -- generally, big law firms start looking at clerks in February-April. Every clerk I know who changed/pick up a big law job did so in the Spring of their clerkship year.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Warning: What follows is totally anecdotal.

I know my V5 recruited clerks in December, and unless it's a particularly good candidate (e.g. HYS + COA) the door is probably closed for us. Also, my friend who is at a selective D.Ct. interviewed and accepted at a top firm in December.

I'm not sure which firm this is, but it's not representative of V20 firms I'm familiar with. Most biglaw firms hire clerks through Spring, from what I can tell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:11 pm

I didn't go through the post-clerkship BIGLAW recruiting process because I had an informal standing offer to go back to my V5 after my clerkship, but based on the timing of clerk reception invitations and when other clerks in my courthouse applied to firms, I agree that most of the hiring occurs in the spring before a fall start date.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Well I guess the big firms in NYC and DC that can afford to take on several new associates might wait until spring, but from what I've experienced so far, most big law firms outside NYC/DC are finished. Again, this is based on the rejections I've received where the firm noted that they completed 3L hiring and have no more spots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:41 pm

Current COA clerk here from flyover country. Have received a lot of recruiting materials from firms lately, but not sure if that's a hiring signal or not.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:53 am

legalese_retard wrote:Well I guess the big firms in NYC and DC that can afford to take on several new associates might wait until spring, but from what I've experienced so far, most big law firms outside NYC/DC are finished. Again, this is based on the rejections I've received where the firm noted that they completed 3L hiring and have no more spots.

For what market? In Atlanta, the big firms don't even start looking at clerk apps until early spring. K&S and JD say that clerks should apply in late January, and a few other large firms I've talked to said they haven't started looking at clerks for fall positions.

I'm with ClerkAdvisor on this one. Maybe V5s and other super top firms lock down the 1 or 2 open spots they have in December, but I don't think that's when most firms handle clerk recruiting.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Omerta wrote:
legalese_retard wrote:Well I guess the big firms in NYC and DC that can afford to take on several new associates might wait until spring, but from what I've experienced so far, most big law firms outside NYC/DC are finished. Again, this is based on the rejections I've received where the firm noted that they completed 3L hiring and have no more spots.

For what market? In Atlanta, the big firms don't even start looking at clerk apps until early spring. K&S and JD say that clerks should apply in late January, and a few other large firms I've talked to said they haven't started looking at clerks for fall positions.

I'm with ClerkAdvisor on this one. Maybe V5s and other super top firms lock down the 1 or 2 open spots they have in December, but I don't think that's when most firms handle clerk recruiting.

In Texas. A friend of mine received a solicitation email from Susman Godfrey for law clerks, but hasn't heard from any of the other Texas firms.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”