South Africa Constitutional Court

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Anyone have any experience with this? Super competitive?

I am interested but can't find a ton of info. I have absolutely no Africa/international experience whatsoever, but am a current dist ct clerk and think the work would be amazing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:13 pm

It's only one data point, but UVA sent an alum there during the past couple years. They posted a story about it that you can probably still find. Before that, he worked for a v5 and clerked, iirc, for an SDNY magistrate judge.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 pm

I believe you can only get paid for it if you are a resident of SA. All other foreigners can clerk without pay.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Yeah I am trying to figure out if clerking without pay is competitive and whether someone with zero international experience, but otherwise strong credentials, would have a shot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:20 am

Former Con Court Clerk here. Foreign law clerks are not paid. The positions are extremely competitive. The foreign clerks usually serve a 6 month term. Foreign clerks do all of the same tasks as the local clerks. Although I had to borrow money to clerk, the experience was incredible.

Consider also that you will be working in Johannesburg and that the Court borders Hillbrow. It's not for everyone.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I am trying to figure out if clerking without pay is competitive and whether someone with zero international experience, but otherwise strong credentials, would have a shot.


You do not have to have international experience. However, you need to try to establish some sort of connection with the Judge. If you have been to South Africa in the past, note it. If a professor knows a particular judge and can recommend you, have them do it. If you've seen a Con Court judge speak or teach somewhere, tell them.

Typically 2 - 4 foreign clerks are appointed during every 6 month period. Foreign clerks are selected from around the world (but, more often than not, are prior fed clerks from the US). The 3-4 clerks in each chamber work together to sift through piles of resumes and recommend the top candidates to their judge.

If you want more info, just say so, and I'll PM you.

blahblewblah
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby blahblewblah » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I am trying to figure out if clerking without pay is competitive and whether someone with zero international experience, but otherwise strong credentials, would have a shot.


You do not have to have international experience. However, you need to try to establish some sort of connection with the Judge. If you have been to South Africa in the past, note it. If a professor knows a particular judge and can recommend you, have them do it. If you've seen a Con Court judge speak or teach somewhere, tell them.

Typically 2 - 4 foreign clerks are appointed during every 6 month period. Foreign clerks are selected from around the world (but, more often than not, are prior fed clerks from the US). The 3-4 clerks in each chamber work together to sift through piles of resumes and recommend the top candidates to their judge.

If you want more info, just say so, and I'll PM you.


I am interested in more info.

chellie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby chellie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi there,
I'm from Canada and also interested in any info you may have about clerking at the Constitutional Court, application process, tips etc. Thanks very much!
Last edited by chellie on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chellie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby chellie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I am trying to figure out if clerking without pay is competitive and whether someone with zero international experience, but otherwise strong credentials, would have a shot.


You do not have to have international experience. However, you need to try to establish some sort of connection with the Judge. If you have been to South Africa in the past, note it. If a professor knows a particular judge and can recommend you, have them do it. If you've seen a Con Court judge speak or teach somewhere, tell them.

Typically 2 - 4 foreign clerks are appointed during every 6 month period. Foreign clerks are selected from around the world (but, more often than not, are prior fed clerks from the US). The 3-4 clerks in each chamber work together to sift through piles of resumes and recommend the top candidates to their judge.

If you want more info, just say so, and I'll PM you.


Hi there,
I'm from Canada and also interested in any info you may have about clerking at the Constitutional Court, application process, tips etc. Thanks very much!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any experience with this? Super competitive?

I am interested but can't find a ton of info. I have absolutely no Africa/international experience whatsoever, but am a current dist ct clerk and think the work would be amazing.


Can someone tell me why people are interested in doing a clerkship abroad?

From what I know, foreign clerks are only selected from fresh-out-of-law-school grads?

Edit: Nvm to the second question

Jchance
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: South Africa Constitutional Court

Postby Jchance » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former Con Court Clerk here. Foreign law clerks are not paid. The positions are extremely competitive. The foreign clerks usually serve a 6 month term. Foreign clerks do all of the same tasks as the local clerks. Although I had to borrow money to clerk, the experience was incredible.

Consider also that you will be working in Johannesburg and that the Court borders Hillbrow. It's not for everyone.


I am also interested in more info




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.