Importance of local ties in flyover district?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Importance of local ties in flyover district?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 pm

I am a 2l at the University of Texas considering applying for some fed district clerkships in Louisiana and Texas. I am from shreveport Louisiana. Moved there when I was two and have lived there my entire life, including going to college there, before law school. My question might be very judge specific but I figured I would see if any one has any thoughts concerning the importance of ties for fed clerk opportunities such as the ones in Shreveport. My grades are decent but not spectacular...basically the only way I think I would be competitive would be because of my school and ties. So does anyone have any anecdotes about the importance or lack thereof of ties in a small district like the Western District of Louisiana? I also want to note that my uncle (Emory grad) is also Shreveport raised and got a district clerkship with one of the judges still currently presiding in the district. He will def go to bat for me if it would help at all. Hopefully my last grade this semester will be strong enough to make me competitive anyways. Thanks

Re: Importance of local ties in flyover district?

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby legalese_retard » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Yes, definitely play up your ties in your applications. Not sure how much of a benefit it will play. For some judges, ties are a big factor. I've seen a couple of OSCAR postings in the past that actually highlighted the judges preference for applicants with local ties.

Talk to your uncle and ask for his advice. Since he knows the judge, he should be able to tell you how to proceed. If he really knows the judge, he should call the judge on your behalf in addition to a recommendation letter.

Postby Jchance » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”