GULC Clerkships--Class of 2013

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
scribelaw

GULC Clerkships--Class of 2013

Postby scribelaw » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:22 pm

There is generally a lack of information here about GULC, so I thought I'd post information I have from one area--clerkships.

For the class of 2013 that just graduated, folks from GLJ, the main journal, had the following clerkships based on my informal calculation:

(1) on the 9th Circuit, (2) on the DC Circuit, (2) on the 2nd Circuit, (2) on the 4th Circuit, (1) on the 10th Circuit, (1) on the 3rd Circuit, and (1) on Court of Appeals for Armed Forces (by someone who could've gone to another circuit if she wanted). For districts, we sent (2) to SDNY, (2) to DDC, (1) to E.D. Va., (1) to E.D. Pa. in Philly, (1) to the federal court in the Virgin Islands.

There may be others; I may be forgetting one or two and some people do not like to broadcast these things.

Overall, out of 50 or so people on main journal, we had (9) get Art. III appellate clerkships, including several with feeder judges, and the two on SDNY are definitely equivalent (in fact, I think one of those may have turned down appellate clerkships for SDNY). Not everyone wanted to clerk by any means, and others are applying to clerkships after working for a year or two. This is pretty similar to the class of 2012, I think.

For those not on GLJ, I think clerkships (in particular, federal appellate) are more rare, but I know of people in the class of 2013 not on GLJ who got clerkships on the 9th Circuit (for a retired judge), 3rd Circuit, 5th Circuit, and DDC. I think all of them had high grades.

My general sense is top 5% plus law review gives you very strong odds at an appellate clerkship or SDNY / DDC, and everyone else around the top 10% (3.7 and up) is competitive and likely to at least get interviews.

I hope this is helpful to people at GULC or considering going there.

hunter.d

Re: GULC Clerkships--Class of 2013

Postby hunter.d » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Current 1L. Thanks for posting. Besides GLJ and strong grades, is there any pattern of what people did in there 1st and 2nd summers that may have led to post-grad clerkships? Specifically, is 1L summer judicial internships a strong bump when applying for clerkships or does grades and journal far outweigh it. Thanks.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:38 pm

hunter.d wrote:Current 1L. Thanks for posting. Besides GLJ and strong grades, is there any pattern of what people did in there 1st and 2nd summers that may have led to post-grad clerkships? Specifically, is 1L summer judicial internships a strong bump when applying for clerkships or does grades and journal far outweigh it. Thanks.

No problem. I know of a few people who got clerkships with the judge for whom they interned (some have policies against this--you might check). But even there, they had strong academic credentials and would have been competitive either way.

In my view, grades are the most important, followed by journal and having strong professor recommendations (i.e., professors who are well connected or well respected and are willing to make phone calls). For clerkships not in NY / DC / CA, having a local connection can also be very important.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:50 pm

scribelaw wrote:There is generally a lack of information here about GULC, so I thought I'd post information I have from one area--clerkships.

For the class of 2013 that just graduated, folks from GLJ, the main journal, had the following clerkships based on my informal calculation:

(1) on the 9th Circuit, (2) on the DC Circuit, (2) on the 2nd Circuit, (2) on the 4th Circuit, (1) on the 10th Circuit, (1) on the 3rd Circuit, and (1) on Court of Appeals for Armed Forces (by someone who could've gone to another circuit if she wanted). For districts, we sent (2) to SDNY, (2) to DDC, (1) to E.D. Va., (1) to E.D. Pa. in Philly, (1) to the federal court in the Virgin Islands.

There may be others; I may be forgetting one or two and some people do not like to broadcast these things.

Overall, out of 50 or so people on main journal, we had (9) get Art. III appellate clerkships, including several with feeder judges, and the two on SDNY are definitely equivalent (in fact, I think one of those may have turned down appellate clerkships for SDNY). Not everyone wanted to clerk by any means, and others are applying to clerkships after working for a year or two. This is pretty similar to the class of 2012, I think.

For those not on GLJ, I think clerkships (in particular, federal appellate) are more rare, but I know of people in the class of 2013 not on GLJ who got clerkships on the 9th Circuit (for a retired judge), 3rd Circuit, 5th Circuit, and DDC. I think all of them had high grades.

My general sense is top 5% plus law review gives you very strong odds at an appellate clerkship or SDNY / DDC, and everyone else around the top 10% (3.7 and up) is competitive and likely to at least get interviews.

I hope this is helpful to people at GULC or considering going there.

Chiming in to add non-GLJ 2013 grad with a clerkship on the 1st Circuit. Will add more as I think of them.

Edited to add that the advice of the above poster re: competitiveness and clerkship counts is very accurate from my experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:05 pm

I know a GULC grad (maybe 2?) at the CFC.

Source: I'm a CFC clerk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Scribelaw-- what's your basis to think that top 5% plus law review is what makes you very competitive for DDC/SDNY/appellate clerkships as opposed to just plain top 5%? There aren't a ton of folks in the top 5% not on GLJ as I understand it, and I'm just wondering if there's some reason to think that they're actually at an appreciable disadvantage in the process relative to folks with comparable stats on main. (I realize as an abstract matter that of course, all things being equal, better to be on GLJ than not, but I just am curious as to whether it really makes that much of a difference across the board).

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Scribelaw-- what's your basis to think that top 5% plus law review is what makes you very competitive for DDC/SDNY/appellate clerkships as opposed to just plain top 5%? There aren't a ton of folks in the top 5% not on GLJ as I understand it, and I'm just wondering if there's some reason to think that they're actually at an appreciable disadvantage in the process relative to folks with comparable stats on main. (I realize as an abstract matter that of course, all things being equal, better to be on GLJ than not, but I just am curious as to whether it really makes that much of a difference across the board).

Fair point.

My basis was just what I observed, i.e. there were I think 13 or 14 people from GLJ my year who have gotten appellate clerkships or SDNY/DDC so far (it was somewhat arbitrary for me to pick only those two district courts as the best, too--there are many excellent courts and judges), out of probably 20 or so from the overall GULC class.

Correlation might not be causation, obviously. It might just be people that people on GLJ tend to have higher grades, due to the vagaries of write-on, and that is really all that matters.

Hard to know for sure. My hunch is grades are the most important, but some judges may also use law review as an easy benchmark to screen candidates. At minimum, as you say, it is better to be on law review than not. My advice to any 1Ls reading this: Do write-on--grind it out; it's worth the effort--and preference GLJ first. It is worth the shot, no matter what your grades, and you can still get on another journal regardless.

Perhaps others have more precise thoughts--such as the poster earlier who was not on GLJ and is clerking on the 1st Circuit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 pm

What is the GPA for top 5%? Do they tell you at the end of 1L year if you are in top 5%?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:01 pm

If you're top 5% or higher after your first year, they email you to tell you your rank.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:43 am

Like this:

Congrats! You'e in the top 3%!

Not like this:

Congrats! You'e 13/500!

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the GPA for top 5%? Do they tell you at the end of 1L year if you are in top 5%?

Generally speaking, I'd say top 5% is around high 3.7s, or maybe 3.8, and up.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Update, in case anyone has use for this thread: another friend of mine on GLJ class of 2013 got an EDNY clerkship for this year.

Thus, by my count, GLJ 2013 had (9) get clerkships in the courts of appeals, (1) on the court of appeals for the armed forces, and (8) on federal district courts, 5 of which are in NYC or DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 pm

I'm at the Court of Federal Claims and I think there's 2-3 GULC '13 clerks here.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”