Name dropping

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Name dropping

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:43 pm

If I spoke to someone familiar with the judge who does not know my work product, should i still name drop? For instance, should I mention in a cover letter that a former colleague of the judge recommended that I submit an application even though that colleague has never worked with me? I can see them signally genuine interest but also, making me look like a dope if that person is called who then says "no idea about him."

Re: Name dropping

Postby Lwoods » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Name-dropping is usually a good idea so long as it's done tactfully because it makes you stand out among a pile of applications. Just make sure the person whose name you're dropping is aware. (Maybe send an email that says, "thanks again for meeting with me. You recommended I apply to Judge [x]. May I mention your name in my cover letter?").

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”