Recommendations vs. References Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
holmes

New

Recommendations vs. References

Post by holmes » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:53 pm

If on OSCAR the judge wants 2 recommendations and 3 references, does that mean 5 unique individuals or that out of your 3 references, 2 should submit a written LOR?

Anonymous User

Re: Recommendations vs. References

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:04 am

Whenever I applied for judges who did this, I just overlapped the two. So if the judge asks for three letters and two references, I'd submit the three letters and put down two writers (who I thought would be the strongest references) as references.

It's kind of weird, but I think sometimes judges or their assistants fill out an OSCAR page without realizing what it will look like on the applicant's end, and it can be confusing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:10 pm

The judge for whom I clerk would prefer five distinct individuals for the references and letters. It is in your interest to do so: The more names that are listed, the greater the odds of the judge recognizing a friend or acquaintance he or she can call. That, more than anything, will aid your chances of getting the interview.

holmes

New

Post by holmes » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”