Using bench memos for writing samples

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Using bench memos for writing samples

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:02 am

I'm going to start applying to firms soon. I could use the writing sample that I used in law school to apply for the clerkship, but I think my writing has greatly improved since law school. So I'd like to use a bench memo.

My judge is ok with it, with the appropriate case and redactions. But what do you guys think about it? Did anyone use a bench memo as a writing sample?

Anonymous User

Re: Using bench memos for writing samples

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to start applying to firms soon. I could use the writing sample that I used in law school to apply for the clerkship, but I think my writing has greatly improved since law school. So I'd like to use a bench memo.

My judge is ok with it, with the appropriate case and redactions. But what do you guys think about it? Did anyone use a bench memo as a writing sample?

From a current clerk --

If you have redacted and have your judge's permission (AND SAY SO IN YOUR COVER LETTER) I see no harm whatsoever if that is the best piece you have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:29 pm

What should we redact if the opinion has already been published?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What should we redact if the opinion has already been published?

Ask your judge. But I think most judges would at least want you to redact the party names even if the opinion was already published.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:35 pm

The judge I interned for said that he would allow me to use published orders as writing samples for clerkship positions, but not for applying to firms. You should definitely just ask your judge or the career clerk because it's likely that every judge will be different and you don't want to use something that they wouldn't approve of.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”