How to Stand Out for COA Clerkships

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How to Stand Out for COA Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:27 pm

I am really interested in doing a COA clerkship. Basically I am interested in appellate law and while I have a summer clerkship at a firm in their appellate section, I know that a COA clerkship is pretty essential to doing appellate law long term.

I am currently a 2L at a top 15 school and on Law Review. However, our clerkship office has refused to talk to me seriously about COA clerkships since I am at the lower end of the top-10% cut-off.

So my question is this: what can I do to make myself more competitive? My GPA is right on the line of a "competitive" candidate so I am just wondering how I can make my application stand out for a better shot at a clerkship.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: How to Stand Out for COA Clerkships

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:00 am

Get a professor or someone else who knows the judge to call COA judges to put in a good word for you.

Maybe do a district court clerkship first?

Anonymous User

Re: How to Stand Out for COA Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:36 am

To echo A. Nony Mouse, for sure a phone call (or many phone calls) is the most realistic helpful thing you can do.

A non-exclusive list of additional suggestions:
    Apply as widely as possible
    Have the dean call on your behalf
    Have former clerks from your school contact their judge on your behalf
    Win writing awards and publish

As a point of reference, I had a nearly identical statistical profile. I got four calls from judges in circuits across the country, none of which were from large coastal cities and landed a COA clerkship. It might be a long-short, but it's worth the work.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”