Mailing Applications to Court

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
patriot888

Mailing Applications to Court

Postby patriot888 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:02 pm

All,

When mailing an application to the court, do you send CC RRR? (Certified mail return receipt requested)? Or simply first-class mail? Do you call chambers to confirm receipt? Does chambers confirm receipt?

Thank you.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Mailing Applications to Court

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:08 pm

I just sent it with delivery confirmation (so I guess priority mail - you can get those flat rate 8.5x11" envelopes). Chambers may or may not confirm receipt, but more likely not. And I would NOT call chambers to confirm receipt.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:59 pm

No, yes, no, no.

I think Federal Circuit asks you to send via FedEx or something because of screening USPS mail, but every other place I just sent either priority flat-rate envelope (tracking is free) or first-class in a large envelope (this option was cheaper when I mailed out a lot more).

patriot888

Postby patriot888 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:53 am

How do you deal with the recommendations? Do you normally have your recommenders send them directly to the judge?

patriot888

Postby patriot888 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:07 am

In other words, to what extent can I mail unsolicited applications?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:29 am

You can either have the recommenders give you the letters in sealed envelopes for you to include with your application, or you can have the recommenders send directly to the judge (some judges do prefer to get everything in one package, but if they do, they'll probably say so in the application).

As for unsolicited applications, do you mean where the judge doesn't have a position post on OSCAR? I did that - I just mailed applications to all the judges in the circuit I was targeting. It's not going to hurt you, if they're not hiring they'll just toss the application. Just be prepared to get a bunch of "sorry, we're not hiring" letters and to have a bunch more of the applications vanish into a black hole. (To save money/time on mailing, you could call the chambers you're thinking about applying to and ask if they're hiring - a lot of places say "no calls" but it's not like you even have to identify yourself.)

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:24 am

Better to have everything in one package, if possible, than separately sent.

Mail in applications pretty much whenever as long as (1) the judge doesn't express a desire for OSCAR-only applications (if that's still a thing) and (2) it's not obviously way too early.

patriot888

Postby patriot888 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You can either have the recommenders give you the letters in sealed envelopes for you to include with your application, or you can have the recommenders send directly to the judge (some judges do prefer to get everything in one package, but if they do, they'll probably say so in the application).

As for unsolicited applications, do you mean where the judge doesn't have a position post on OSCAR? I did that - I just mailed applications to all the judges in the circuit I was targeting. It's not going to hurt you, if they're not hiring they'll just toss the application. Just be prepared to get a bunch of "sorry, we're not hiring" letters and to have a bunch more of the applications vanish into a black hole. (To save money/time on mailing, you could call the chambers you're thinking about applying to and ask if they're hiring - a lot of places say "no calls" but it's not like you even have to identify yourself.)

When calling, do you ask for the courtroom deputy? or the law clerk?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:11 pm

patriot888 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:You can either have the recommenders give you the letters in sealed envelopes for you to include with your application, or you can have the recommenders send directly to the judge (some judges do prefer to get everything in one package, but if they do, they'll probably say so in the application).

The person who answers will likely be the judicial assistant (unless they're out, in which case it might be the CRD or a law clerk), and that's probably who you want to talk to. But just ask whoever answers the phone. (Assuming you're calling chambers directly. If you don't have the chambers number, call the courthouse and ask to be connected to Judge Whoever's chambers, and then ask whoever answers the phone.)

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:30 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
patriot888 wrote:

The person who answers will likely be the judicial assistant (unless they're out, in which case it might be the CRD or a law clerk), and that's probably who you want to talk to. But just ask whoever answers the phone. (Assuming you're calling chambers directly. If you don't have the chambers number, call the courthouse and ask to be connected to Judge Whoever's chambers, and then ask whoever answers the phone.)

I called 100+ chambers last cycle, I can say that a number of JA's do ask you to identify yourself. Consequently a number of my friends called from Google Voice numbers (since their phone numbers were listed on their resumes). I've also had judges pick up the phone on two separate occasions, which is ALL KINDS of awkward. Especially if they've posted a "don't call chambers" notice on OSCAR. Just something to keep in mind. Obviously I still felt it necessary to make the calls.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”