Second CoA clerkship in same circuit?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Second CoA clerkship in same circuit?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:33 am

Already clerking for a feeder judge, but unlikely I'll wind up at SCOTUS. Like clerking a lot. Is it a huge waste of time to do another clerkship with a similarly preftigious judge in the same circuit?

ClerkAdvisor

Re: Second CoA clerkship in same circuit?

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Already clerking for a feeder judge, but unlikely I'll wind up at SCOTUS. Like clerking a lot. Is it a huge waste of time to do another clerkship with a similarly preftigious judge in the same circuit?

Yes, I'd argue it's a waste of time. Sure, you'd get a somewhat different perspective and another mentor, but it's not really moving the ball (i.e. your career) forward.

If you want to keep clerking, go clerk for a good district judge -- it's a whole different world (and potentially more fun).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:42 am

ClerkAdvisor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Already clerking for a feeder judge, but unlikely I'll wind up at SCOTUS. Like clerking a lot. Is it a huge waste of time to do another clerkship with a similarly preftigious judge in the same circuit?

Yes, I'd argue it's a waste of time. Sure, you'd get a somewhat different perspective and another mentor, but it's not really moving the ball (i.e. your career) forward.

If you want to keep clerking, go clerk for a good district judge -- it's a whole different world (and potentially more fun).

Yeah, I'd consider that too. Just likely have the option of heading straight into this, whereas most district ct judges have already hired for next term.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:56 am

First-year associate here. If you like it, and you're not in desperate need of a BigLaw salary, I'd say do another go-round.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:12 am

Do firm for one year followed by district court in 2015. I'm doing district court now and it's a blast. Plenty of preftogious district court judges out there (to the extent you're looking for a potential further SCOTUS bump).

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”