OSCAR: Judge Hiring but does not have job posting

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
patriot888

OSCAR: Judge Hiring but does not have job posting

Postby patriot888 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:51 am

All,

What do you do when a judge's profile indicates that the judge is hiring, but the judge does not have an actual clerkship posting.

My gut tells me that I should mail an application. However, some of these judges' profiles will have "do not contact chambers."

What do you do in this case?

Thank you!

legalese_retard

Re: OSCAR: Judge Hiring but does not have job posting

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:11 am

patriot888 wrote:All,

What do you do when a judge's profile indicates that the judge is hiring, but the judge does not have an actual clerkship posting.

My gut tells me that I should mail an application. However, some of these judges' profiles will have "do not contact chambers."

What do you do in this case?

Thank you!

If interested in the judge, I would mail an application to him/her. In your cover letter you should mention that you are applying to the judge because OSCAR indicated that he/she was hiring. "Not contacting chambers" pertains to phone calls and emails. You might even contact your law school's clerkship person or OCS and see if they will contact the chambers and see if the judge is hiring. I've had several law schools calling my judge since we do not accept online applications via OSCAR.

patriot888

Postby patriot888 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:16 am

legalese_retard wrote:
patriot888 wrote:All,<br sab="724"><br sab="725">What do you do when a judge's profile indicates that the judge is hiring, but the judge does not have an actual clerkship posting.<br sab="726"><br sab="727">My gut tells me that I should mail an application. However, some of these judges' profiles will have "do not contact chambers."<br sab="728"><br sab="729">What do you do in this case?<br sab="730"><br sab="731">Thank you!
<br sab="732"><br sab="733">If interested in the judge, I would mail an application to him/her. In your cover letter you should mention that you are applying to the judge because OSCAR indicated that he/she was hiring. "Not contacting chambers" pertains to phone calls and emails. You might even contact your law school's clerkship person or OCS and see if they will contact the chambers and see if the judge is hiring. I've had several law schools calling my judge since we do not accept online applications via OSCAR.

Thank you. Few more questions:

(1) What is the advantage of having OCS call? I feel like my OCS will take forever.
(2) If the judge recently filled his 2014 term, but has not indicated via profile that judge is hiring for 2015 term, should I still send the application anyways? Is this risky?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:25 am

No advantage to having OCS call. They call because they want to update the status of the judge for all of their students. There's no reason not to do it yourself.

There's a general timeline for when you should apply for clerkships for the next term. I don't remember anymore what it is, but I think it's more in February or something.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:51 pm

patriot888 wrote:(1) What is the advantage of having OCS call? I feel like my OCS will take forever.
(2) If the judge recently filled his 2014 term, but has not indicated via profile that judge is hiring for 2015 term, should I still send the application anyways? Is this risky?

(1) If you are concerned about offending the judge or the staff, then they can't get mad at you if OCS calls.

(2) The only risk is that your application will be immediately discarded or forgotten. Judges get applications constantly. When they are actually ready to hire, most prefer to start looking at new applications rather than going through old applications to see if the person is still interested.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:59 pm

I think some judges just put all the applications in a pile of "applying for term x" and then just look at them all when they're interested in doing their hiring. I don't think they necessarily discard older ones, as long as it's clear which term you're applying for.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”