N.D. Ga.

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

N.D. Ga.

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:29 pm

What can you guys tell me about the judges in the Northern District of Georgia? I'm hoping to clerk there after I graduate in 2015 and need to start figuring out which judges I should apply to.

If it matters, my general info is:

School: respectable Georgia school
Rank: Top 15% (if grades are good this semester, could potentially squeeze into top 10%)
Jobs: National non-profit (1L summer), RA for prof (1L summer), will work either at a DA or PD office 2L summer
Extra stuff: Secondary journal, award for legal writing oral arguments (top oralist), Dean's list (all semesters), board member of public interest group
Recs: Should all be solid. One will be particularly strong and prof is willing to make phone calls.

I do have Georgia ties -- my fiancee grew up here and her family is here. We'll be married before I graduate and intend to remain in the area.

What judges are good to work for on the ND Ga?

Anonymous User

Re: N.D. Ga.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Curious as well but how about for an alumni clerk? Does firm experience go far with these judges in general?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm a clerk in NDGa.

Seems like most of the clerks went to UGA; there's a bunch of Emory people along with a one or two from Duke, Vandy, and the other Georgia schools. And not that I go around asking people where they went to school/what their grades are, so I don't really have concrete info on that point. However, I'd bet that most are in the top 10% of their class or higher (at least for the Georgia school clerks).

Quite frankly, you should apply to all of them. Unless you're in the top 5 people in your class (and even then), it would be stupid to apply to just a few of them. NDGa isn't SDNY, but it's not flyover either. There's one judge that I've heard less than stellar things about, but there's no way I'm dropping his/her name, even anonymously.

You seem to have the biggest thing already; you need a professor to make calls. For example, Judge Jones is VERY active with UGA, and I imagine he cuts down the applications by having UGA give him a list of people to interview.

Re: alumni clerking. One of the judges exclusively hires alumni clerks. I think the rest of the judges tend to take clerks straight out, though I really doubt that any of them would hold it against you. You should also keep an eye on the confirmation process. NDGa should get 4 new district court judges sometime in 2014.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm at Emory, and from what I've been told (by 3Ls who went through process last year) for ND Ga here the competitive cutoff is top 10%. I wouldn't be surprised if judges go a little deeper into the UGA class because of the strong UGA network at the courthouse. I haven't head much about the other Ga. schools, but I would assume you would want to be top 10% at a minimum for GSU or Mercer.

I'd imagine your best approach is to make sure to get applications out to those judges who hired clerks from your school in recent terms early.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Anybody have any thoughts on the Southern? Curious about applying there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:26 am

While we're at it, any thoughts on getting to N.D. from HYS? Ideas whether the cutoff is similar to other schools? From what I gather (and above post seems to confirm), there arn't many HYS clerking here so I've had some trouble finding up-to-date info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:57 pm

What is with the obsession with "cutoffs?" There is no such thing, really. And even if there were, what difference does it make? If you're interested in a judge, apply. No one is ever going to be able to tell you a hard "cutoff" below which you shouldn't even bother applying. And what's the cost of applying to one more judge? A stamp and five minutes of your time? You may as well just go for it.

To the above poster: there is always a smattering of HYS people in NDGa. If you have ties you will get a look.

As for timing: the NDGa judges vary pretty wildly in their hiring practices. You should get your applications in as quickly as you can, but waiting for 2L grades to come out is probably worth the wait. Then follow up after you've sent in your application.

As for judges: I'll echo the earlier poster--no way am I naming good/bad judges on TLS.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”